Discuss part p full scope work in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

radial

Can i ask a simple honest question, all the lads who cough up quite alot of cash to train up as an Electrical Installer....do they hear of many people who find the move into the trade too difficult / not enough work etc,........ only when looking on ebay for a tester for myself (i'm just going thro' a career change, done some courses already) there seems to be alot of people who are selling nearly new condition testers (2yrs old) that have been gathering dust in a garage? looks not very promising to a newcomer.

To be honest a 2 year old tester will be old if it has done a lot of work. Some people who are testing day in and day out will want the latest kit because like owt else technology improves and test kit is no different, these improvements make the work quicker and easier.if you can shave 30 minutes off each PIR or whatever then the latest gadget soon pays for itself. So this is one of the reasons you will see a lot out there. Another reason is THEFT, scrotes nick our kit and shove it on ebay to make a quick buck, so tread carefully when you buy it may have been gathering dust till the dust settles so to speak.

Secondhand kit can be good value, but my mate had his Fluke 1651 nicked out of his van, he paid ÂŁ250 for it secondhand. He replaced it with a brand new Fluke 1651B, which came with far superior leads, all the kewtech lightmates, R1R2 adaptor, R1 R2 jump lead kit, remote test probe, R2 wander lead, and 12 month calibration certificate, and a penny change out if ÂŁ400 delivered. If you add all that lot up, then his ÂŁ250 secondhand one wasn't such good value after all.

Cheers........Howard

think a lot of the short course wonders end up struggling as they need to set up working for themselves (always difficult going against established firms and especially in the current climate)

that leaves them struggling as most firms wont employ them as they arent really qualified electricians.

even though work is thin on the ground at the moment you will find most qualified electricians (exceptions of them working for themselves) will find a job with a firm without too much trouble.

many thanks to the lads who responded, i really do appreciate you taking the time.......i realise the content of my question may have been misleading....but i'm a bit new to all this so all the same a big thanks.........my situation is i'm a telecoms engineer who's studied at tech college for 3yrs ' electrical eng ' so not a new comer to this electrical world but due to job insecurities and also a long yerning for a proper electrical career i've decided to take some training and foot the bill myself......i've rewired my last two houses i've owned and done odd jobs for friends and i'm also pretty savy with current regs , but now i'm thinking of going the whole hog and getting full scope part p training and 17th edition together with '2382' inspection and testing, oh and then joining a scheme. Alot of cash to lay out if your unsure of whether you can survive being self employed.(i truelly am fed up working for a big company) My question is any body out there know the real facts abouts Electrical Installation courses and there success rate.... any tips for starting up on your own........i know these are very obvious questions but i'm very nervous about going alone and i've no sparky mates for advice......hopefully that will change soon !

Reply to part p full scope work in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net