Discuss part p jobby assessment thing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello, fellow sparkies. I’m a fully qualified electricianhaving done a 5 week course , got my Part P and everything. Got my NICEICdomestic installer inspection in 2 weeks. Going to rewire my parents house forthe inspector to see. It’s a prefab, all concrete, built about 1950 and iswired in that awful round copper covered cable that fits into the boxes withbrass nuts. It’s all 2 core cable, so there’s no earth. I’m going to do it allin stickyback plastic trunking, should only take me about a week. The niceicwant a small job as well, so I plan to fit a circuit for washing machine andtumble dryer in the only place in my small flat where they will fit. Thebathroom. As the floor is tiled, I can’t get to the socket cables, so I plan tocome from the bathroom light in the attic, down the corner of the bathroom intrunking, under the bath, and fit a double socket under the bath where the tapsare. I’ve looked up in the regulations, and that’s OK because you need ascrewdriver to get the panel off. Also it makes the plumbing easy, straightfrom the tap pipes. And, because there’s no earth on the lighting, I can fix awire from the earth of the socket to the cold water pipe. One thing I could notunderstand from the course is why I need to use thick cable on showers andcookers. Is it something to do with the bigger cable allowing the amps to flowfaster, like bigger water pipes allow faster water flowing?

Hello, fellow sparkies. I’m a fully qualified electricianhaving done a 5 week course , got my Part P and everything. Got my NICEICdomestic installer inspection in 2 weeks. Going to rewire my parents house forthe inspector to see. It’s a prefab, all concrete, built about 1950 and iswired in that awful round copper covered cable that fits into the boxes withbrass nuts. It’s all 2 core cable, so there’s no earth. I’m going to do it allin stickyback plastic trunking, should only take me about a week. The niceicwant a small job as well, so I plan to fit a circuit for washing machine andtumble dryer in the only place in my small flat where they will fit. Thebathroom. As the floor is tiled, I can’t get to the socket cables, so I plan tocome from the bathroom light in the attic, down the corner of the bathroom intrunking, under the bath, and fit a double socket under the bath where the tapsare. I’ve looked up in the regulations, and that’s OK because you need ascrewdriver to get the panel off. Also it makes the plumbing easy, straightfrom the tap pipes. And, because there’s no earth on the lighting, I can fix awire from the earth of the socket to the cold water pipe. One thing I could notunderstand from the course is why I need to use thick cable on showers andcookers. Is it something to do with the bigger cable allowing the amps to flowfaster, like bigger water pipes allow faster water flowing?
Hi..and welcome to the forum:welcome2:

Well done going for NIC domestic installer ....its a good qualification to have.

You should be OK with your proposals as they generally just have a quick look round.

dont forget to label the socket outlet under the bath as for `washing machine only` will you...

if i were you though i would be coming down to the socket outlet from the light fitting with a 2.5/1.5 twin....just in case...

make a note of the existing install not having any CPCs wont you....as they are keen on paperwork and like to see it...

Welcome to the forum Telex, congratulations on being part p qualified, that is a qualification I still have not achieved myself, as for the rewire screwfix sell 1mm2 cable for under 30 quid and sticky trunking is around a quid a length, make sure you buy sticky as it is easier to fit than normal trunking.

Welcome to the forum Telex, congratulations on being part p qualified, that is a qualification I still have not achieved myself, as for the rewire screwfix sell 1mm2 cable for under 30 quid and sticky trunking is around a quid a length, make sure you buy sticky as it is easier to fit than normal trunking.

thanks for the tip. i always use sticky, but make sure with a few clip nails. the bandages on my left thumb will bear this out.

, so I plan to come from the bathroom light in the attic, down the corner of the bathroom intrunking, under the bath, and fit a double socket under the bath where the tapsare. I’ve looked up in the regulations, and that’s OK because you need ascrewdriver to get the panel off. ,

Good Idea, make sure you use one of those rcd thingy's to cover yourself as it is near a shower, the earth will not matter then as the rcd thingy measures inbalance and will trip anyhow.

it's got one of them arseydees on the garage. the welder keeps knocking it out. shorted it out with some old red and black cable the pikeys missed.

Good Idea, make sure you use one of those rcd thingy's to cover yourself as it is near a shower, the earth will not matter then as the rcd thingy measures inbalance and will trip anyhow.

Don't confuse the poor chap with technicalities. Keep it simple, it's just three wires....

I'm gob smacked no one on here saw the Electrical Trainee in the first line!
How can anyone be "fully qualified after this so called 5week course, no experience in the field with another spark!)

well ill done passing 17th and your Electrical Trainee course but honestly now go and get some experience!
Electricity Kills, your exploring unknown territory here mate, honestly have you even wired up a CU in this 5week course and if so how many times?

Back to your question - get a screwfix account and use them, cheap and good quality.

I'm gob smacked no one on here saw the Electrical Trainee in the first line!
How can anyone be "fully qualified after this so called 5week course, no experience in the field with another spark!)

well ill done passing 17th and your Electrical Trainee course but honestly now go and get some experience!
Electricity Kills, your exploring unknown territory here mate, honestly have you even wired up a CU in this 5week course and if so how many times?

Back to your question - get a screwfix account and use them, cheap and good quality.

did 2 in the first week, 2nd week got faster and was doing 5 a day. 3rd week was installing 3 phase boards in wylfa nuclear power station. next week on the oil rigs. ( oh, and got my helicopter pilot licence in week 4. )

did 2 in the first week, 2nd week got faster and was doing 5 a day. 3rd week was installing 3 phase boards in wylfa nuclear power station. next week on the oil rigs. ( oh, and got my helicopter pilot licence in week 4. )

Telectrix you got a job with me - you start Monday.
Clearly the 5 day course is 1,000,000% better than the apprenticeship most of this forum has done.
i think we all need to go back to college and do this course!

LOL:19:

can't be done at college. it's so exclusive that only punters with a wad of cash or a no limit amex card qualify.

Reply to part p jobby assessment thing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net