Discuss Part P Notification in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hey.

Well I would have thought so, yes. But if none of them has any electricial qualifications to undertake the work you mention that falls under pert P then by law they cant, this is maybe why they want you to join a scheme.

I would discuss this thoroughly with them before agreeing to anything because at the end of the day it will be your name on any certs so any problems would fall on your shoulders.

Also the cost to join is between £400 - £600 will they be paying this for you??

Hi all
The way i see it is its a money money money thing ! part of the group of hands that steal dosh from your wallet. If your a registered contractor with one of the schems then your not required for onsite assessment at application stage ! If your qualified then you should be qualified to sign off your work and allowed to ! its milking the system ! even if your domestic installer all 17 modules qualified that should be ok as to get the qualification your assessed and have to meet the requirements to get it even if there was a place/centre you could go and have a mock install etc at a reduced fee for qualified people. Were always going to get the cowboys in any trade buy its all to do with money money money ! I have qualifications bulging from my folder and cant do a cu besides the fact that ive changed more cu and full rewires for SEB and Council than i can remember at mo carnt afford the assessment ! house is going due to no work and get offered all this work but not worth getting LABC involved due to most small jobs. And most jobs are undercut by unqualified people signing on ! 2 autistic kids a wife and depts The system needs changing to stop these cowboys trading. More policing in this area need sorting and Niceic need to speed up for their customers !
Sorry for my winge i dont know what came over me ! its not on ! irll go for a coffee and calm down ! totally out of character !

Last edited by a moderator:
Personaly i think that in some ways Part P registration is a load of ****, i did a five year apprenticship back in the 1960's and got paid a pittance for the privilege, and as far as i am concerned that gave me all the qualifications i needed to carry out my own electrical work anywhere i wished, so why should i have to go back to school to learn how to do a job i have been doing for fourty years, as a matter of interest i did anyway just as a refresher but when i go to one particular whoilesaler i see people who are obviously not trained in any electrical installation theory or practise whatsoever and are still doing work for themselves and maybe others, they have even turned to me for advice on how to connect something, so what is the point of this ridiculous rule.

Lets face it, a any decent electrician would want to do a job he was proud of and a job that was safe in all respects and as long as he was fully versed in the latest requirements he would be in no need of any futher regulation.

All Part P has done is create more problems than it has solved.

BK

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like to know how much a domestic installer can do and how long will it be before that is the only qualification you will need to be a spark. people wont bother doing the 236 parts 1.2 or the am1 or am2.

i would like to know how much a domestic installer can do and how long will it be before that is the only qualification you will need to be a spark. people wont bother doing the 236 parts 1.2 or the am1 or am2.

Hi Pigletvonpiggle
The domestic installer is for domestics only and their not sparks domestic installers only if they want to go sparky/approved contractor they need to be suitably qualified/exp.
Regards
Kung.

i am timed served,with 236,1 and 2 and nvq l3 which i class as fully trained as far as im concerned. but i just get a feeling that the way the trade is going domestic installer will become accepted. already in london you see mates on site doing price work on there own.

Some guy around here fitting 12w cu's for £100 cash in hand ! should have saved my dosh and got a new car and went to pub for 5yrs !

Some guy around here fitting 12w cu's for £100 cash in hand ! should have saved my dosh and got a new car and went to pub for 5yrs !
if that is included in the price for the board then i will have to get his number.lol. but screwfix do a 10w dual rcd board fully loaded with10 double s/o and5 light pendants.

Hi Just had the same problem, local council refused sign off because i had no Third Party Professional Indemnity Insurance, i had to use a registered installer who had the relevent insrance cover to carry out a periodic inspection. I have just joined NAPIT and paid to fast track application all sorted in less than a week. Excellent service.

a message for Andy M.

Sorry mate it doesnt get any better. they are money greedy so and so's. all they are interested in is clawing the next buck from the lowly approved contractor.

If you cancel you get billed.
If you have a half day assessment they will say its not enough and charge you another £250 for the extra 4 hours (which is usually no more than 2-3.).
They charge if you have a complaint and they find absolutely anything wrong at all (ie label on dis board missing). This can be £500!
They insist on you paying for Part P certification and then after a year of it they then come up with a another charge for insurance backed warranties or something. Which you have to pay.

You should wait until you get the first inspection, you will probably be missing a book or other publication that you can get through the NIC, you wont have a check box to test your tester and he will 'recommend' one through the NIC website. You wont have insulated steps and he wont be able to use yours under H & S laws!

Blah di Blah di Blah..........

Sorry......... gotta take a breath!

Im new to it all, and find it quite flawed. Electricians seem to have been dragged into Part P simply to align with building regs. The whole system seems a little backwards in that there is far more red tape and regulation for domestic than any other part of the industry. Why didnt someone take the same concept of HV, LV and ELV to the domestic, comercial and industrial sectors and banding the skills within defined supply ratings e.g. making domestic installers capable of working on supplies up to 100A thus including small retail and commercial under one cover and doing away with the little gray areas.

I know the reporting system is different in Scotland (although the regs are practically the same), but how is it coping north of the border with regards to work and enforcement?

I've just joined Elecsa and, like the OP, a consumer unit swapout was one of the required tasks. I enquired before my assessment about notifying LABC about the CU change and a very helpful lady at Elecsa told me to go ahead with the swapout but date the paperwork a day or two before my assessment date as that would leave me a full 30 days for my assessment to go through (and any non-coms rectified) and my Elecsa membership and online account to be set up, after which I could notify LABC through my Elecsa membership. Seemed to make perfect sense to me and the whole process of joining a competent person's scheme as been simple and straightforward as it seems I've been dealing with competent people. :smiley2:

Reply to Part P Notification in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock