Discuss Part P Notification in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pjwallis

Hi

I am in the process of setting up my own electrical contracting business and i was wondering how you get round notifying work for Part P whilst the application goes through for a competent persons scheme.

Obviuously i could notify building control directly however the cost of this is astronomical.

Thanks

Paul

I'd give the Part P enquiry line a call on 0870 609 6093. Although I'm sure somebody will be able to give you advice on here soon enough. It's a pretty new community we have here so it's not the largest at the moment. :)

If you are qualified and confident you will pass, just join elecsa, they'll let you notify all your jobs upto ur assessment once u passed

Not too sure what happens if u dont

I have just joined the NIC(having spent some time of the tools working in training) and they insisted i pay the council to notify a consumer unit change at my own house!! it cost £100 plus VAT as this was to be my "major" for my assessment, When the NIC Engineer arrived it turned out to be another contractor in his own sign written van, He wasn't interested in looking at any paperwork and couldn't understand why i had paid the council. I explained a) his colleges at the NIC insisted i did and b) I was complying to the Law!! it sounds like Elecsa are applying a little common sense in this area.

Finally if you do go the NIC route prepare to write off the first 6 months of your membership, i have only just received my activation code in order to notify on line and i joined on 12th July.

Oh (you've got me started now) Don't have a baby whilst waiting for your assessment as i did the NIC charge £350 cancellation charge if you cancel within 14 days of assessment by their Engineer whoops i mean approved contractor whose sign written van sits outside your job while he assesses you. Luckily i postponed in time as baby arrived on the day the NIC was due. It didn't stop them writing a snotty "standard" letter stating that i had postponed at "relatively" short notice. Having phoned them on the day i received the appointment i did point out that maybe they had give me "relatively" short notice to prepare for assessment!!

And this is Finally don't worry about public liabilty insurance, complaints procedures and H&S policies as the "inspectors" look at that when they revisit in a year (correction 6 months)

I have just joined the NIC(having spent some time of the tools working in training) and they insisted i pay the council to notify a consumer unit change at my own house!! it cost £100 plus VAT as this was to be my "major" for my assessment, When the NIC Engineer arrived it turned out to be another contractor in his own sign written van, He wasn't interested in looking at any paperwork and couldn't understand why i had paid the council. I explained a) his colleges at the NIC insisted i did and b) I was complying to the Law!! it sounds like Elecsa are applying a little common sense in this area.

Finally if you do go the NIC route prepare to write off the first 6 months of your membership, i have only just received my activation code in order to notify on line and i joined on 12th July.

Oh (you've got me started now) Don't have a baby whilst waiting for your assessment as i did the NIC charge £350 cancellation charge if you cancel within 14 days of assessment by their Engineer whoops i mean approved contractor whose sign written van sits outside your job while he assesses you. Luckily i postponed in time as baby arrived on the day the NIC was due. It didn't stop them writing a snotty "standard" letter stating that i had postponed at "relatively" short notice. Having phoned them on the day i received the appointment i did point out that maybe they had give me "relatively" short notice to prepare for assessment!!

And this is Finally don't worry about public liabilty insurance, complaints procedures and H&S policies as the "inspectors" look at that when they revisit in a year (correction 6 months)

so all in all then your not impressed with the NIC :)
my company is in the process of doing this now wish he had never bothered :(

NIC seems to be leaving a lot of people unhappy at the moment. Quite a few peeps I know are moving over to NAPIT which is where I will be going in next 12 months

if your fully competent i.e 2330 level with 2391 t & i do u need to take part p as you are a fully competent person and under bs7671 there is no require ment for part p only knowledge/understanding of what it is and compliance.

or am i completely wrong ...

im just finishing my 2330 2391 now still an apprentice so be gentle ppl.

If i read correctly, you still need to register with a scheme provider to be able to notify your work, under Part P of the building regs.

Otherwise, you pay your LABC and they do the insp and test for you at a cost, usually £100+

its a joke ! how many more qualifactions do i need lol 2330 level 3 nvq and techinal cert , 17th edition , 2391, AM2 and i cant self certify

i know im new to the trade but for "proper" electricains part p is insulting

does anyone know where i can find where it says u need to be part p registered - like on a goverment website or anything

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically there is no 'Part P course' or being 'Part P registered'.

You register with one of the schemes which enables you to comply with Part P of the building regs, which, in a nutshell enables you to notify your work as being compliant with BS7671.

You do not have to be registered at all and you can pay LABC their fees to have your work inspected and tested.

Problem is, it gets a bit expensive when you need to involve them in a job thats only worth £50.

Have a look here:

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...ons/4299-competent-person-schemes-part-p.html

i recently attended a professional day at chalshalton techinal college and a Rep from the ECA was there and swore blind is the council charge you for inspecting your work you were basically being conned as they are oblidged to do it ,

any thoughts on this
or could it be different depending on the council body

Have a read through the link i gave.

This is such a grey area that most feel that registering is the easiest way out.

Its a fair argument at the moment.

its a joke ! how many more qualifactions do i need lol 2330 level 3 nvq and techinal cert , 17th edition , 2391, AM2 and i cant self certify

i know im new to the trade but for "proper" electricains part p is insulting

does anyone know where i can find where it says u need to be part p registered - like on a goverment website or anything

A lot of people miss the point of part P.
We are all qualified to various degrees, but these qualifications last forever and cannot be taken away.
Part P registration with all its faults (and I know there are many) is something that can be taken from you.
I passed my C&Gs in 1981 and according to a lot of members of this site they would be happy for me to trade off these until I retire saying that I'm fully qualified and that of course I can self certify.

Part P registration commits me to keeping up to date with with qualifactions and standards and is a route for me to be 'struck off' if I fall short of the standard.

You should look at part P as a professional body and sell the principle to clients and others, it's hard I know and there are a lot of problems, the cowboys will allways be out there and there is a cost.

But it is a step towards putting electricians on a profesional level and creating a trade where any Tom Dick or Harry cannot just pick up some tools and call themselves an electrician without breaking the law.

Last edited:
In the same loop with regards notification before being assessed. When I contacted my council building control (Herefordshire) they said minimum charge was £170 + VAT !!! I have spoken to Elecsa and will be going down that route because a) you could talk to someone sensible on the phone b) Everyone seems realy ****** off with NIC.

A lot of people miss the point of part P.
We are all qualified to various degrees, but these qualifications last forever and cannot be taken away.
Part P registration with all its faults (and I know there are many) is something that can be taken from you.
I passed my C&Gs in 1981 and according to a lot of members of this site they would be happy for me to trade off these until I retire saying that I'm fully qualified and that of course I can self certify.

Part P registration commits me to keeping up to date with with qualification and standards and is a route for me to be 'struck off' if I fall short of the standard.

You should look at part P as a professional body and sell the principle to clients and others, it's hard I know and there are a lot of problems, the cowboys will always be out there and there is a cost.

But it is a step towards putting electricians on a professional level and creating a trade where any Tom Dick or Harry cannot just pick up some tools and call themselves an electrician without breaking the law.

hi there

i agree with some of what you say but where you say professional body that is the problem there are five bodies trying to be professional not just one ! so you have five ways pulling and the cowboys pushing in the gaps.

i personally work in commercial, but with the current economic times diy will become more and more prevalent who can afford 170 quid for labc Mr Diy will spend his money elsewhere if of course he has any ?

I have been asked many times to do house holders a favour and for me part p means sorry no can do :p

cheers

Hi maddfridge
Thanks for your post, I said that are many faults with part P as it now stands and you point out an obvious flaw.
If as I say the strength of part P is that it regulates people like myself, where do people like you and other fully qualified electricians who work for companies fit in?
How do you control and regulate that?
Let’s have a debate on this from the point of view that some sort of control is needed.
To take the stance that I’m qualified and that’s enough renders this thread redundant and ends all debate on the subject.

i may be starting with a company that does solar heating, all they want me to do is test the immersion radial and do the odd bit of boiler work. they have asked me if im prepared to do part p. what do they mean. i am 17th edition trained,236 parts 1 and 2, am 1 and am2. and i have got my approved. what course will i need.

I recently had my assessment with Elecsa and used my own c/u as one of my jobs, the other was in a public building so wasn't part p.

I did not bother to notify the local authority as you have 30 days and this would come inside my assessment date.

My examiner didn't ask me about it anyway.

i may be starting with a company that does solar heating, all they want me to do is test the immersion radial and do the odd bit of boiler work. they have asked me if im prepared to do part p. what do they mean. i am 17th edition trained,236 parts 1 and 2, am 1 and am2. and i have got my approved. what course will i need.

Hey.

Part P isn't a qualification it's a document within the building regs covering electricial installation in domestic premesis.

I think what your company are asking is if you would be prepared to join a part P scheme provider such as NICEIC, ELECSA, ECA, NAPIT etc so that you can self certify your own work without having to get LABC out to test and sign off for you.

It's a lot cheaper in the long run to self certify as LABC can charge anywhere between £100 - £200 for an inspection.

You can join a scheme provider straight away with the qualies that you have although some may insist on 2391 within 12 months.

Have a look here for more info.

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...ons/4299-competent-person-schemes-part-p.html

Cheers.

Reply to Part P Notification in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock