Discuss Part P or 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cirrus

I want to do wither Part P or 2391 this summer so that I have everything I need to work for myself. I will be doing mainly domestic work so wondered if I should just stick with getting Part P or do the 2391 instead. Any thoughts guys?

Cirrus

what quals do you have at the moment?

I presume by Part P you mean the EAL Domestic Electrcial installer course? there is no such thing as a part P qualification!!!!!

are you already a qualified sparks? If so then just do module 1 of the EAL course, this is Applicable building Regs for Electrical installations

or alternatively C&G 2393.

Either way, lets be honest, you are gonna need 2391 to get anywhere, so i would look to doing that regardless of what else you do

you planning a weeks intensive course, or PT in a college?

I qualify in a couple of months. I thought part p was the 'competent' persons scheme. As for the 2391 I would do the week long course as my local college has an extremely poor pass rate and also, after 3 years of 2 eves a week I really don't want to do any more lol

Yes the competent persons schemes are in compliance with the self certification requirements of Part P.

thats why i am confused when you say you want to 'do' part P?

If you mean join a competent persons scheme, then getting the 2391 will certainly help you, largely because without it you will not be able to do PIR's under the scheme

If your NIC registered, do you need anything to do with part P? I've heard there's loads of modules but its all confusing

If your NIC registered, do you need anything to do with part P? I've heard there's loads of modules but its all confusing

depends if you are registering as an approved contractor or a domestic installer - the two things are entirely seperate, and some firms register as both. An approved contractor would still need to pre-notify work to the LABC and pay the fee

to register as a domestic installer, you must show you have knowledge of the various approved documents to the building regs. The EAL domestic installers course has 17 modules, of which the first is Applicable Building Regs for domestic installations, so you dont neccessarily have to do the full qual.

To be Part P registered you have to be assessed by one of the bodies NIC, NAPIT etc against two recent jobs. Passing a course at college is not being registered as Part P!!

You need to upgrade to 2382 (17th Edition) before July 1st and carry out several installations before you will hvae enough experience to do the Inspection & Testing.
You will also need to be taking the 2392 (17th Edition) suggest after your Part P registered.

The first few jobs will have to be done using (and paying) Building Control to pass them and then NIC / NAPIT can assess you for these jobs to get you registered. You need to be the "supervisor" of the work so you cant work for someone else and use those jobs!

Good luck

Shakey

Can only go for approved contractor with NIC after two years trading as sparks, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be Part P registered you have to be assessed by one of the bodies NIC, NAPIT etc against two recent jobs. Passing a course at college is not being registered as Part P!!

You need to upgrade to 2382 (17th Edition) before July 1st and carry out several installations before you will hvae enough experience to do the Inspection & Testing.
You will also need to be taking the 2392 (17th Edition) suggest after your Part P registered.

The first few jobs will have to be done using (and paying) Building Control to pass them and then NIC / NAPIT can assess you for these jobs to get you registered. You need to be the "supervisor" of the work so you cant work for someone else and use those jobs!

Good luck

Shakey

Can only go for approved contractor with NIC after two years trading as sparks, if I recall correctly.

think you are right Malc, and i have a felling its 6 months to go for Domestic Installer as well

not sure about your 2392 comments though, no-one NEEDS it, although it is a good stepping stone to the 2391, been teaching it for a while, and the students like it

not sure about your 2392 comments though, no-one NEEDS it, although it is a good stepping stone to the 2391, been teaching it for a while, and the students like it

Hi

After 1st July 2008, 2381 and 2391 or obsolete as there based on 16th Edition

2382 and 2392 are based on 17th edition. The -10 is from scratch and -20 is upgrade.

My NICEIC assessor (march 08) told me that I will need to have 2382-20 to ensure my work and certicates are valid from 1st July!!

I would not employ someone who had only done 16th Edition as they might dump me in it!

Hi

After 1st July 2008, 2381 and 2391 or obsolete as there based on 16th Edition

2382 and 2392 are based on 17th edition. The -10 is from scratch and -20 is upgrade.

My NICEIC assessor (march 08) told me that I will need to have 2382-20 to ensure my work and certicates are valid from 1st July!!

I would not employ someone who had only done 16th Edition as they might dump me in it!

Malc, how do you reckon 2391 will be obselete? and what do you think will replace it?

Whatr do you think will happen to all the exisitng 2391 holders?:confused:

Look, all that has happened is people who taken 2391 up to now have taken it based on the 16th edition

People who take it from now on will take it based on the17th edition, but, and this is the point, there is NOTHING on the 2391 certificate (other than the date) which states which addition of the regs was in force when the exam was sat

existing 2391 holders simply have to update their regs qual, their 2391 is still (and always will be!) valid, it certainly isnt obselete!:p

are you aware of what the 2392 is? I have seen you mention it on a few posts

The 2392 is the Fundamental certificate in inspection and testing. It is a Level 2 qual (2391 is Level 3) and concentrates on initial verification only

there is a full test on a simple single phase board and a 45Q multi choice on line exam

it is meant as a 'stepping stone' to the 2391, but is not a requirement.

and regarding the regs and 2391, holding 2381 or 2382 is not a pre-requisite for sitting the 2391

hope this has cleared it up for you

oh, and before you bounce back with "but I was told by.......", I am the training manager for a private company, and teach all of these courses, including 2392 AND 2391, and shall continue to do so !!!!

Shakey I have miles of study and course materials on 2391 (books, CDs, booklets etc). Do I need to throw all of them out and start all over again or is there any way I can upgrade them? I am still toying with the idea of going for 2391 or 2392 as it will be called from July.

Shakey I have miles of study and course materials on 2391 (books, CDs, booklets etc). Do I need to throw all of them out and start all over again or is there any way I can upgrade them? I am still toying with the idea of going for 2391 or 2392 as it will be called from July.

Darius, are you taking the mickey, mate?

You having a laugh?

Did you read my post:confused:

look, once and for all

THE 2391 IS NOT CHANGING!!!!!!!!!!!

the 2391 is staying as the 2391, what the hell has July got to do with anything?

The 2392 is an entrirely seperate beast

jeez, my throat is getting sore I have said this on here so often:mad:

as regards all your study material Darius, keep it

Zs is stil Zs

PEFC is still PEFC

only changes are IR values, terminology from Direct / indirect contact to Basic / fault protection, papaerwork changes (mainly on schedule of inspoections) and verification of voltage drop using circuit impedence

apart from that its all good

I have students who have passed the practical (under the 16th) and we will be resitting their written papaer under ther 17th

How can they do that? Because the 2391 is staying as the 2391:p

Can anyone tell me what is meant by limited scope B as I dont want to be a spark just competent i was hoping to just need the lower scope qualification and hopefully that includes all i will need.

Ok I found out it wasnt hard but it seems to be what i need, Just had a really good conversation with NAPIT, who were really helpful. Suggetsed a C&G wiring regs course. ANyone know the number for the 17th edition updated one?

this's from the NAPIT website:

Defined Scope Scheme
The defined scope scheme (Level B) covers New Circuits, and adding to Existing Circuits. It is aimed at non-electricians working in dwellings who need to carry out electrical work as part of the normal jobs. For the NAPIT Defined Scope Scheme you need:
1.Both a and b
a. An appropriate Certificate of Competence such as the NAPIT Certificate NA-L1L4 **or the EAL Domestic Installers qualification** and
b. An interim on site technical assessment which can be carried out by one of NAPIT's Regional Officers.*
AND
2. A current BS7671:2001 qualification such as NA-2381 or C&G 2381**, or an interim onsite technical assessment*
AND
3. £2m of Public Liability Insurance
AND
4. Relevant Publications - BS7671:2001 which costs £49 available from the IEE, Tel: 01438 767328). You will also need a Memorandum of Guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 which costs £4 from the HSE, Tel: 01787 881165, and the Approved Document for Part P which can be downloaded for free from the NAPIT website.
AND
5. A full set of Test Instruments* After the interim site technical assessment, you then have 12 months to gain an appropriate qualification.

Can anyone tell me what is meant by limited scope B as I dont want to be a spark just competent i was hoping to just need the lower scope qualification and hopefully that includes all i will need.

Ok I found out it wasnt hard but it seems to be what i need, Just had a really good conversation with NAPIT, who were really helpful. Suggetsed a C&G wiring regs course. ANyone know the number for the 17th edition updated one?

if you have 16th edition 2381 post Sep 01 or 2330 post 04 then you sit the 2382-10 17th update

If you are previous to that or dont have the regs at all, then you sit the full 2382-10 17th edition exam (although that doesnt mean you have to do a full course;))

if you have 16th edition 2381 post Sep 01 or 2330 post 04 then you sit the 2382-10 17th update

If you are previous to that or dont have the regs at all, then you sit the full 2382-10 17th edition exam (although that doesnt mean you have to do a full course;))

Thanks Shakey 2382-10 exam sounds like the one i could need. Napit are sending me some information they seemed alot more helpful than NICEIC although explaining what i do is not easy over the phone. Having read some of the posts on here I am getting a etter understanding of what the impact of regs are for me its mainly adding spurs in none special locations (lounges and bedrooms) or otside the special areas in kitchens and bathrooms (need to double check what the new areas are) a colleugue of mine who recently did a course seemed to think all new spurs needed RCD protection but am i right in saying that if installed more than 50mm into a solid wall and for dedcated use (ie a projector) and labelled then an additional RCD is not required? Also if the property has an RCD CU already does this count or do you need an in room RCD as well? What does one do about stud walls? are the regs the same regardless of wall construction? Sorry if this off topic

Reply to Part P or 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock