Discuss Part P or not part P, that is the question.... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

chocca

-
Reaction score
Hopefully Mr. Shakespeare will forgive my butchery of his words :) .

I'm a commercial/industrial spark and haven't really had much to do with the domestic side since leaving a contracting firm a good few years ago (long enough for the cable to be red and black) so I'm hoping for a few pointers.

My house is a newish semi with gas central heating and water heating. I also have a back-up immersion heater in the airing cupboard. Plan is to add a booster pump for the shower - which will require one of the following options...

1. New circuit from the DB to a spur in the airing cupboard I assume this will require me to inform building control and fork out a large pile of wonga.

2. Disconnect immersion and use existing spur to feed pump. Allowable?

3. Fit a changeover switch after the existing spur that would allow me to run the pump OR the immersion.

Are either 2 or 3 permittable without informing BC as they'd be additions to an existing circuit? I've been in the house 5 years and the immersion and it's circuit are just there to pad out the consumer unit as everything is heated by the boiler- the one time it let me down it was repaired within 4 hours so the back up immersion issue never really arises.

TIA

2. is favorite ( don't forget to fuse sown at FCU) . followed by 3. as a 2nd choice. 1. is a non-starter.

Hopefully Mr. Shakespeare will forgive my butchery of his words :) .

I'm a commercial/industrial spark and haven't really had much to do with the domestic side since leaving a contracting firm a good few years ago (long enough for the cable to be red and black) so I'm hoping for a few pointers.

My house is a newish semi with gas central heating and water heating. I also have a back-up immersion heater in the airing cupboard. Plan is to add a booster pump for the shower - which will require one of the following options...

1. New circuit from the DB to a spur in the airing cupboard I assume this will require me to inform building control and fork out a large pile of wonga. Notifiable

2. Disconnect immersion and use existing spur to feed pump. Allowable? Not notifiable

3. Fit a changeover switch after the existing spur that would allow me to run the pump OR the immersion.........................more of a grey area

Are either 2 or 3 permittable without informing BC as they'd be additions to an existing circuit? I've been in the house 5 years and the immersion and it's circuit are just there to pad out the consumer unit as everything is heated by the boiler- the one time it let me down it was repaired within 4 hours so the back up immersion issue never really arises.

TIA

If the pump (and therefore its associated circuit) is within the bathroom then all the changes would be notifiable to building control, if the circuit is not within the bathroom then I agree with the above posts.

Reply to Part P or not part P, that is the question.... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net