Discuss Part P Requirements? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gatallica

Hi All
I know that similar questions have come up on numerous occasions, however I really need the definitive answer on hard wiring an alarm panel and where this falls under part P?
I have installed a number of alarm systems over the years and I am also no stranger to electrical installations. (always conform with regs etc) I have just completed a comprehensive alarm installer course and I intend to start a small business installing intruder alarms.

Now, I have a full list of what is 'notifiable' and what is not and I am fully aware that building regs need to be applied, regardless of the work carried out. However, the confusion on what is allowed and what is not allowed remains confusing!!

This is how I read it - Upon connecting the alarm panel to the mains, I can legally carry out the works, using a hardwired fused spur or fused flex outlet, so long as it falls outside of the notifiable areas mentioned in part P. This work does not need to be checked or varified and I do not need to issue any certificate.

I know that you could technically just plug the panel into an existing socket, however I feel that this approach is rather unprofessional.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me the definitive answer on this, irrespective of their personal feelings on whether it is right or wrong (Hey, I don't make the rules here!).

I would be truly grateful for your answer on this, thank you!

Anyone can LEGALLY carry out electrical work as long as they are competent to do so.
Any electrical work should be tested and certified except for (for example) like for like repacement of accessories
A new circuit is notifiable
An extension to an existing circuit is not (subject to certain caveats)

Thanks for that Trev. But is there an actual requirement for them to be tested? I am happy adding simple spurs, etc and using the correct cable etc, etc, so I cant see why I would need to add the expense of getting a sparks to test it, otherwise most of my profit would go on that malone.

If this spur was dedicated on its own mcb this would a new circuit and fall into part P but a spur from an existing circuit that is not in a notifiable location is just a MWC. Thats how i see it.

Wow, why has this been so utterly confusing....?
Even the goverments own Part P document suggests that you can carry out any 'non notifiable' work and just forget about it!!
For any others in my situation, here is the difinitive on this....
1. So long as the works to be carried out are in a 'non-notifiable' area, ANYONE can carry out the works, i.e adding a fused spur, so long as you adhere to 17th edition regs, such as cable, trunking and positioning etc.
2. However, you will need to get the work inspected by a competent person, i.e someone who has been certified under NIC/NAPPIT etc. This applies to ANY electrical work carried out, irrespective of it being 'non notifiable'.
If you want to certify the work yourself, then you would need to do a 'Defined Scope' Part P Bpec course at a cost of around £1000 AND register with a company like NAPPIT at around £500 per year, just to add a simple spur!!
To be honest, the cost to a customer would be unrealistically high if I have to get every job inspected. Secondly, the cost for for qualifying in a 'Bpec' and the £500
to NAPPIT every year, and the cost of my installer course, makes the whole thing so expensive, that I'll probably cancel my place.
Thanks to all of you that replied, it opened my eyes!!
Trevor

Even the goverments own Part P document suggests that you can carry out any 'non notifiable' work and just forget about it!!
If you are very slapdash - you could.

For any others in my situation, here is the difinitive on this....
1. So long as the works to be carried out are in a 'non-notifiable' area, ANYONE can carry out the works, i.e adding a fused spur, so long as you adhere to 17th edition regs, such as cable, trunking and positioning etc.
Notification relates to types of work as well as locations (areas).
Part P (of the building regulations) states that all work should be carried out to ensure safety therefore it must be tested properly.
This is what prevents 'just anyone' doing it as they do not have the equipment

2. However, you will need to get the work inspected by a competent person, i.e someone who has been certified under NIC/NAPPIT etc. This applies to ANY electrical work carried out, irrespective of it being 'non notifiable'.
That is not what it says.
If a registered electrician who can self-certify does NOT do the work you must for notifiable work inform the LABC and pay their fee before you start.

If you want to certify the work yourself, then you would need to do a 'Defined Scope' Part P Bpec course at a cost of around £1000 AND register with a company like NAPPIT at around £500 per year, just to add a simple spur!!
You don't have to do a course but yes plus you will need calibrated test instruments, necessary books, insurance and other documentation.

To be honest, the cost to a customer would be unrealistically high if I have to get every job inspected. Secondly, the cost for for qualifying in a 'Bpec' and the £500 to NAPPIT every year, and the cost of my installer course, makes the whole thing so expensive, that I'll probably cancel my place.
That's how they get us to register - cheaper of two evils.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Geoffsd puts it really , you can't just do whatever you want , we all have our experience , qualifications and pay our money every year for that privilege.

Thanks guys, its a lot clearer now. No point in doing an alarms course if I cant wire the thing in! The course instructor suggests that you can just plug the panels in, but that's just bodgery to me. If I can't do it properly, then I won't do it at all.

Many Thanks for all your help on this

If you are competent to install a spur,and you are serious about starting out on a business venture,would it not in the long term be a good financial benefit to you to take a defined course of some description so that you can test your own minor works and issue a certificate,if the work that you carry out is not covered under part p of the building regs then you would not need to register with niceic/elecsa or napit,you would just need to be competent in some way with the testing.this would in my opinion be beneficiasl to you and make your business look more proffessional with a nice certificate at the end instead of wire it in and leave it.Take a look again at part p and what it covers,most of the time you might find that your work is not under part p of the building regs,at the same time you will still need to install to BS7671 as you are probably aware.

Reply to Part P Requirements? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net