Discuss Part P signoff on self-installed electrics in a new build in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm building a house, and I HAD been looking to do the bulk of the electrics myself, and then get it tested and signed off.
I now understand this can be just as expensive and more complicated than having an electrician come in and do it himself.
Any thoughts on this, please, and if it IS viable, any thoughts on how to find someone suitable.

You will need a registered electrician who can certify the work and do the legal bit (notification to LABC).
You won’t get completion from Building Control without it.

All registered electricians are listed here
Home - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

As Murdoch says, get a couple in. They may let you do some if the grunt work.

go on Napits website and search for a local electrician who does third party certification. They must be involved before any cables are run and must inspect at first fix and second fix. They will then test and certify it.

All of the CPS had the option to offer the third party scheme to members and I believe that the CertSure Group (NICEIC, etc) rejected this and only NAPIT and Stroma offered it to their members. Only a few electricians have taken this up. (No way, Jose, did I want to do this myself).
Note that it's is an extra to standard scheme membership and the sparks that do offer it are few and far between.

You may find this of interest
https://www.napit.org.uk/downloads/TPC-process-for-notifications.pdf

Last edited:
1st., there is no requisite for the installer to be in a scam. the planning permission will include inspection of the electrical installation. if you can prove to BC that you are competent and can test/inspect/certify, then you're good to go. if not, there may be a fee for BC to get the inspection etc. done through them. ask them.

As Telectrix has said, the electrical side of things should be included with your building control application for the overall build of your house. You just need to prove to them you’re competent. Speakyo your local building control when they reopen this week.

Reply to Part P signoff on self-installed electrics in a new build in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net