Discuss Part P Visit/assessment in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Daren

Dear all, I've got my Competent Persons Scheme assessment with Stroma coming up and I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on what their hot topics are.

I'm flapping a bit because this will be the first time I've been through this as I've always worked with someone else.

Dear all, I've got my Competent Persons Scheme assessment with Stroma coming up and I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on what their hot topics are.

I'm flapping a bit because this will be the first time I've been through this as I've always worked with someone else.

From previous threads I've seen, they seem very hot on you locking off the main switch before removing the cover on the CCU.

Make sure you have all your regs book, part p , test calibration, certs, example quotes and invoices, and most of all have a really decent job to go to with a squeaky clean EIC

If he has got a date for his assessment he will have parted with his money already!

Never thought of that, so you pay before you pass the assessment bit like asking the customer to pay before the job is finished.

Last edited:
Make sure you have all your regs book, part p , test calibration, certs, example quotes and invoices, and most of all have a really decent job to go to with a squeaky clean EIC

Gather together all the required documents and put them in a folder/bag/box so that you're not hunting around on the day. If anything (eg. your PL insurance) is attached to an e-mail, probably best to print it off. Also easier if you print off any test certificates you intend to show, particularly the ones for the on site inspection, and any calculations you've done.

I was told that they need to see a minimum of two new circuits.

The questions asked will depend on the particular assessor. There were quite a few areas that mine didn't cover at all, but I'm sure they'll come up on a later assessment.

If you can remember some of the basic technical stuff if makes things quicker and gives a better impression: RCD times, typical max Ze, current ratings for the sorts of cables you're using, IR testing limits, etc. You must be able to demonstrate or describe the safe isolation procedure.

I've got my AC visit in a month, not had a visit for 19 months lol.

I I suspect there will be a few questions around AMD3.

i was thinking of having a few products that I fit to hand to show him what I like to install, something to talk about etc.

I was thinking of having a small list of things to discuss, nothing special but things like 7/.036 in relation to 4-6mm twin etc, I was going to mention that i had obviously noticed it was not 6mm. Just makes just look a little more observant possibly.

ive got my Stubbs books to show him.

ill have a hager design 30 board to sit and discuss, maybe a JCC LED10 down light to show him so he can see what I like to fit.

I was thinking of having a small list of things to discuss, nothing special but things like 7/.036 in relation to 4-6mm twin etc, I was going to mention that i had obviously noticed it was not 6mm. Just makes just look a little more observant possibly.

ive got my Stubbs books to show him.

ill have a hager design 30 board to sit and discuss, maybe a JCC LED10 down light to show him so he can see what I like to fit.

Chances are you'll be as knowledgeable as he is, if not more so. It's not nice being scrutinised like this but I like to dream up one or two tricky questions to test their knowledge as well. Having said that I have to say my assessor was good as gold, they can tell pretty quickly whether you know your stuff just as we would with another sparks.

That's it, if you start beating round the bush and giving stupid answers then the day won't go too well.

so long as you can give things like max Zs for common sized breakers and rough ccc of cables, trip times, explain why you do certain things etc it's usually fine,

i had a jobsworth last time on the being of retirement, he kept making his own rules up.

I have just had my second year assessment with Stroma. None of the questions asked were that hard, simple things like what jobs would you notify? He did ask about having the Part P document, Risk assessment, complains policy. T first thing he asked for were my qualifications, once he seen them I got the impression he didnt feel the need to bother me to much. Sat down for an hour and a half chatting about what I have and what I could do with having. Went to site, had a look around the job, RCD test and ZS. That was it.

Thanks. That's great advice. I've just completed my 2395 so hopefully a lot of the stuff he asks will be still in my head. Although I've had a few beers since then which tends to act like a big eraser for me!

I am not sure if anything has changed lately with Stroma, but I have had an email along the lines of they will be picking 2 jobs from the list of notified work from last year, to go and look at. Now, I have no problem with this, but being as all of them are domestic (obviously), how are we supposed to guarantee access? I asked one of the help-desk team and they are not sure, "getting back to me" as always. Seems a bit odd to. Do you not provide a job for them to go and look at?

I am not sure if anything has changed lately with Stroma, but I have had an email along the lines of they will be picking 2 jobs from the list of notified work from last year, to go and look at. Now, I have no problem with this, but being as all of them are domestic (obviously), how are we supposed to guarantee access? I asked one of the help-desk team and they are not sure, "getting back to me" as always. Seems a bit odd to. Do you not provide a job for them to go and look at?

Hum.... that sounds a bit hit and miss. How can you guarantee access, people moving, properties rented out with "difficult" tenants...., difficult customers not wanting you back, bob the builder having a go after you have finished......

Nicey DI have changed their criteria, have to have access to 2 jobs but only need to visit one, if there are no issues at first job they don't go to the second at all.

Nicey DI have changed their criteria, have to have access to 2 jobs but only need to visit one, if there are no issues at first job they don't go to the second at all.
That's absolutely ridiculous. So you get in touch with 2 customers, tell them to book a day off work so you can bring the assessor round to "check" your work, then he goes to the other job first and decides he doesn't need to go to the second. Customers are going to love that, what a load of crap. The more I hear about these scams the more I am inclined not to bother and just crack on regardless.

Reply to Part P Visit/assessment in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock