Discuss Part P (well M actually). Please helpme settle an argument in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Burnt Fingers

My opinion is that universally, the accepted lowest hight above floor is 450mm to the bottom of the socket - not the centres. I have two guys in a property fitting them at 450mm to the centres. I think I am right, but before I tell them to chop out some wall......

Yes between 450 and 1200 so to me that means 450 to the bottom of a socket and 1200 to the top of a switch etc.

you are correct. 450 mm to the bottom. minimum, can be higher up to 1200 mm to the top.

Is it a new build?

Figure 8a page 161 of the On-Site Guide shows the heights and the 1200 is to the top of the switch and the 450 to the bottom.

You are correct my friend.

If it's a new build then go and have yourself some fun lol

If it is an old build where other sockets are placed 250mm above the floor, do we still have to place the new sockets at 450mm or match the height of other sockets in the room?

Sockets in "old builds" have no specific hight requirement. It's always a good idea though when deviating from the 450 - 1200 to get it in writing from the customer as to what they want.

Sockets in "old builds" have no specific hight requirement. It's always a good idea though when deviating from the 450 - 1200 to get it in writing from the customer as to what they want.
Part P defines that sockets & switches to be placed for convenient access by the people living in that property. In my opinion matching the position of other sockets while putting up new sockets is a sensible option.

Ever had problems from building control wanting sockets in loft conversions at the 450 even though there is no wheelchair accessibility for the 2 flights of stairs in the house? I have and it drives me crazy!!

Ever had problems from building control wanting sockets in loft conversions at the 450 even though there is no wheelchair accessibility for the 2 flights of stairs in the house? I have and it drives me crazy!!
Yep, just had that. Coz it's classed as "new build". Had an additional switch downstairs (for 3 floor switching for the lights). That could be at the old heights. The whole of the new floor had to comply with part M (ie new heights for switches / sockets).

It's a joke isn't it? Most loft conversions' stairs wouldn't be able to accommodate a chair lift so where's the logic? I know the ones I've worked in couldn't and the customer has not wanted sockets half way up their wall but BC insist.

Reply to Part P (well M actually). Please helpme settle an argument in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net