Discuss Part P ................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm almost embarrassed the bring this up again but the whole thing still coming fuses me.

I head again today, a experienced spark say "iv got part P" when talking about qualifications.

I understand what part P is and I have past my building regulations exam as part of my level 2 however, how does one...... Have part P?

If you have done building regs (which includes part P) does that mean I have part P?

Also a friend of mine had some work done in his house, I said to him, "why didn't you come and see me?" He said "well it needs to be all part P".

Just confuses me.

So why are people so obsessed with part P?

Some Sparks mentioning it as a qualification within itself and customers actually asking for it?
Never needed it so no experience, I think it means you have completed a part P building regulation course and satisfied your Scheme assessor that you are competent to carry out and test electrical works that require notification, I sure there will be far better explanations from those who are registered with a scheme such as ELECSA, STROMA etc

Never needed it so no experience, I think it means you have completed a part P building regulation course and satisfied your Scheme assessor that you are competent to carry out and test electrical works that require notification, I sure there will be far better explanations from those who are registered with a scheme such as ELECSA, STROMA etc

I am pretty sure you are wrong. Part P is nothing to do with any course its a compliance enforced by the government that any electrical work must meet the relevant standard.
A DIYer can put a new circuit in and contact Building control which then means its complying with Part P

I did the daft Part P city and guilds building regs course as my previous employer sent a group of us on it, was daft things like safe zones, where to cut joists, a little on extraction rates and a small bit on notifying work. then a pick the correct answer multi choice computer test. not sure it makes much difference to be honest. its all stuff you should know if in the trade, especially if house bashing.
The niceic assessor ticks a box on his ipad each year when discussing qualifications and going through the other paperwork.
Not sure if its mandatory to have it to join a scheme? but as others have said what they really mean is they are part of a scheme to self notify certain electrical works

It's all about being Part P registered....not qualified.
If you're a scam member, you're qualified to register. The completion certificate then includes the part P number, issued by building control.

A DIYer can put a new circuit in and contact Building control which then means its complying with Part P
A diyer will need to notify building control before starting ,then the council send somebody out to check and test it. if all is okay they will issue compliance certificate, if you go ahead and do it without telling them they normally charge you a lot more these days, in times past you could get away retrospectively telling them, now they see an opportunity to charge you more.

I am pretty sure you are wrong. Part P is nothing to do with any course its a compliance enforced by the government that any electrical work must meet the relevant standard.
See the next post

Part P – Full Scope Course | Access Training - https://www.accesstraininguk.co.uk/electrical-courses/electrical-part-p-full-scope?adgroup=47446275334&network=s&device=c&keyword=part%20p%20courses&adposition=1t1&gclid=CjwKCAjwg_fZBRAoEiwAppvp-XrXEdW6CAttdoT4H741n2-Brnc1Q3ofwKM3n-Tup5Fm6V63y1dqrBoCBR8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If somebody uttered the words ( or asked about) being Part P qualified :confused:
It can very often mean the person has little or no standard electrician training ;)

He will likely have very limited knowledge of this trade :rolleyes:
However,he will be unaware of how very limited his training actually is and will believe that being a Part Peer he is top of the skilled Tree :)

We are registered with a scheme for Part P notification and self certifying, no one in our company has undertaken any Part P course. All work we undertake is compliant to BS7671 and that is all you need to know nothing else. Part P is only useful for telling you what is notifiable and what is not.

So there isn't any specific part P paperwork? It's just the usual process

Installation in occurdance with bs7671
Relevant testing
Relevant test results cert EIC/minor works cert
Building control notified via scheme or by yourself

??

Reply to Part P ................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net