Discuss Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you are intending on joining a scheme like niceic then they have particular requirements and I think for eicr work you should have your inspection and testing under your belt.

If you are intending on joining a scheme like niceic then they have particular requirements and I think for eicr work you should have your inspection and testing under your belt.
He says he has all the qualifications required T and I should be included in that description don't you think?

If you become an NICEIC domestic installer (which is the usual route from a Part P course), then they say you can't carry out EICRs under their banner. You'd need to be an Approved Contractor for that.

I believe NAPIT may be similar in that they only add EICRs to your membership if you can demonstrate suitable training or experience.

However, Part P and EICRs are not directly related - You have to be registered to notify a Part P job, you only have to be 'competent' to do EICRs. That can come from experience or training and is not strictly defined, though there is some guidance I believe in amongst the mess of the recent Landlord leglislation.

The question will be - can you demonstrate your competence to inspect and test should the question ever be asked (in the absolute worst case, in an investigation after an incident).

I'm currently a Domestic Installer but with 14 years experience, and carry out EICRs on domestic properties because I believe I am competent to do so and have seen enough domestic installations to (mostly) interpret the requirements.

But I'd never carry out an EICR on an industrial complex because I'd know I was out of my depth.

hi all, i am looking at enrolling in a part p domestic installer course, with part p am i able to carry out EICR's?
Hi - in short, no. Part P of the Building Regulations applies to new works, not inspections. So the training you will get will reflect that, I assume.

If you become an NICEIC domestic installer (which is the usual route from a Part P course), then they say you can't carry out EICRs under their banner. You'd need to be an Approved Contractor for that.
I believe they have changed this in an effort to get more people enrolled in the Private Rented Sector EICR Competent persons list. Domestic Installers will need to go through an on-site assessment to demonstrate they're competent to carry out domestic EICRs.
The info is on this page:
http://www.niceic.com/join-us/private-rented-sector-scheme

I believe they have changed this in an effort to get more people enrolled in the Private Rented Sector EICR Competent persons list. Domestic Installers will need to go through an on-site assessment to demonstrate they're competent to carry out domestic EICRs.
The info is on this page:
http://www.niceic.com/join-us/private-rented-sector-scheme
Interesting, thanks for that - Must have been a fairly recent change which they don't appear to have bothered to communicate to members. I enquired about upgrading to Approved Contractor a month or two back to cover EICR and they still haven't got back to me.

Of course it's another paid on site assessment, so the business opportunity seems to be as much at their end...

Interesting, thanks for that - Must have been a fairly recent change which they don't appear to have bothered to communicate to members. I enquired about upgrading to Approved Contractor a month or two back to cover EICR and they still haven't got back to me.

Of course it's another paid on site assessment, so the business opportunity seems to be as much at their end...
Indeed, it's all about funding their private yachts! ?

Reply to Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net