Discuss Part-Qualified - Where to go? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently have the following qualifications:
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificates in Electrotechnical Technology Installation (2330)
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificates in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (2382)

I did them whilst serving in the Royal Engineers (Army) where I got very little hands-on experience once qualified. The majority of what I ended up doing was combat engineer based.

Long story short, I'm no longer serving and I want to get into the industry proper. I have contacted around 50 companies and lone sparks with no reply. I have stated that I am looking for spark's mate work to gain the required experience whilst funding the courses I may need to further progress in the trade.

If you were in my position what would you do?

Thanks for reading.

Hi all,
I currently have the following qualifications:
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificates in Electrotechnical Technology Installation (2330)
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificates in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (2382)

I did them whilst serving in the Royal Engineers (Army) where I got very little hands-on experience once qualified. The majority of what I ended up doing was combat engineer based.

Long story short, I'm no longer serving and I want to get into the industry proper. I have contacted around 50 companies and lone sparks with no reply. I have stated that I am looking for spark's mate work to gain the required experience whilst funding the courses I may need to further progress in the trade.

If you were in my position what would you do?

Thanks for reading.
Apply via the Mods for access to the trainee area, there are plenty of people in the same boat as you, you will get advice there I'm sure, good luck and thanks for your service.

apart from getting the hands-on experience, you next step would be NVQ3 and AM2. that will get you a JIB gold card.

apart from getting the hands-on experience, you next step would be NVQ3 and AM2. that will get you a JIB gold card.

Sorry for my stupidity, but what is the difference between NVQ3 and C&G Level 3?

I am aware of the AM2 which I intend to do, I just wanted to gain experience as a mate prior to going head first in to something I might struggle with.

@azznoble
unfortunately You need to be on a current course before access can be given for the trainee forum, When you sign up to a relevant course then please drop me a pm and I will sort it.

Sorry for my stupidity, but what is the difference between NVQ3 and C&G Level 3?

I am aware of the AM2 which I intend to do, I just wanted to gain experience as a mate prior to going head first in to something I might struggle with.
Sorry that GMES couldn't give you access Mate, but rules are rules, you should be used to that being an ex Squadie, I'm sure as soon as you let the Mods you are on a course it will only be a matter of letting them know, in the mean time good luck.

Sorry that GMES couldn't give you access Mate, but rules are rules, you should be used to that being an ex Squadie, I'm sure as soon as you let the Mods you are on a course it will only be a matter of letting them know, in the mean time good luck.

Yeah, not a drama. I don't particularly want to undertake a course without working in the industry so I will make do with the rest of the forum for now. Thanks anyway.

Yeah, not a drama. I don't particularly want to undertake a course without working in the industry so I will make do with the rest of the forum for now. Thanks anyway.
feel free to ask questions on the open forum, but be prepared for some banter. as an ex-squaddie, you should be able to cope and give as good as you get.

NVQ's are based around actual work, the idea behind them being someone who'd been doing a job for 20 years with no formal qualifications could obtain the qualification just by showing competence and knowledge. Unfortunately because there is money to be made, every Tom, Rick and Larry now expects you to have one to work for them, and there are companies willing to give you one if you cough up enough cash.

NVQ's are based around actual work, the idea behind them being someone who'd been doing a job for 20 years with no formal qualifications could obtain the qualification just by showing competence and knowledge. Unfortunately because there is money to be made, every Tom, Rick and Larry now expects you to have one to work for them, and there are companies willing to give you one if you cough up enough cash.

Thanks for clearing that up. So effectively I could do an NVQ once/if I manage to get work as a spark's mate? I'm happy to cough up cash for any course that benefits me in the long run. I guess I will just have to keep on pestering the companies and keep fingers crossed.

Reply to Part-Qualified - Where to go? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock