Discuss Partial rewire?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mstoker1990

Hi just wondered if someone could give me some advice I am currently in a property that has suffered fire damage. Nothing extensive but will need a new consumer unit and all wall and ceiling fittings replacing. Everything is around 15yrs old all looks ok. Bonding needs upgrading but the whole house is on one ring main how do I stand with this with the the regs? Is it a fail?? It is. 3bed semi. Would appreciate your advice. Cheers

a single RFC for the whole house is not a fail, as you call it. while not ideal, as long as the circuit is correctly protected, the only problem would be with MCB tripping if the circuit was overloaded.

edit: i would just add a note on the cert. that it would be advantageous to install a separate circuit for the kitchen.

Is it your house or a client?

If its yours and you do have to do a lot of remedial work, I would seriously consider changing the socket circuit so its 2 circuits rather than one, plus I'd be checking for a borrowed neutral on the landing light as a new dual rcd board may dictate additional cabling too.

It is a better class of install where there are multiple circuits for the connecting loads,but how big is the house ?
Unless its a rich mans monster then one ring should be fine if it tests Ok

It would be worthwhile making alteration to the set up as stated by the others
When you have fitted the new cons unit,if there were another ring ( kitchen is usually easier to alter),the user would not lose all the sockets when a rcd tripped

You say the whole house is badly fire damaged.
If they are going to gut the whole house then you might as well do re-wire on the whole house instead.
Explain the situation to the owners and ask them what they want to do.

I take this will be an insurance job so they will want to get as much as possible out of it.

If your quoting then do a quick EICR to justify why you want to do the whole house - easy to make it look like a short circuit - just join all cables together in CU

They will prob go with you then because you identified the problem and fixed it at the start instead f having to change your quote (or keeping same price and doing a cowboy job) if the problem araised later

a bit of overkill there, if most of the damage is just smoke damage to accessories, but a thorough test/inspect is needed so as not to under estimate.

You say the whole house is badly fire damaged.
If they are going to gut the whole house then you might as well do re-wire on the whole house instead.
Explain the situation to the owners and ask them what they want to do.

I take this will be an insurance job so they will want to get as much as possible out of it.

If your quoting then do a quick EICR to justify why you want to do the whole house - easy to make it look like a short circuit - just join all cables together in CU

They will prob go with you then because you identified the problem and fixed it at the start instead f having to change your quote (or keeping same price and doing a cowboy job) if the problem araised later

Nothing extensive but will need a new consumer unit

Just thought to make the letters a little larger nicholas
:smile:

Partial rewire?? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Partial rewire?? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
do you want to borrow mine?

i was hoping he was joking. :yes:

Yes I was joking!

I was mainly on about if the tails where damaged then they would have to be replaced as well - and the circuit tails - still might as well have been easy to do a full rewire - you have to see how much damage the heat has caused. - could of lowered IR readings!

Cheers guys the fire has been in the living room and the only heat damaged item is the pendant in there the rest is all smoke damaged.

Putting a report in going to request to do a partial rewire upgrade bonding etc

Cheers

Have you IR Tested the circuit in that room?
Those rooms can get well over the 70C that the cables are rated for - any low readings need to be sorted - also do a continuity test to get your Zs reading (Zs = (R1+R2) + Ze

If you dont know Ze then take it as the highest allowed reading for the type of earthing

Also back your requests up with evidence why you want to do what your suggesting to do

and make sure you put in a good price. don't undervalue the work. the insurance company have probably received more in premiums over the years than the cost of the job anyway.

Reply to Partial rewire?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock