Discuss partr p testing and documentation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

philipb

Hi Guys,
I am changing a cu with a full test,the test certs say r1 plus r2 and r2,as i understand it you do a full r1 and r2 on all circuits,and also r2 on all circuits.also the r2 test,i understand its a continuity test on the cpc to a seperate earth to furthest point in circuit.Have i got this right?
thanks philip b

Hi Guys,
I am changing a cu with a full test,the test certs say r1 plus r2 and r2,as i understand it you do a full r1 and r2 on all circuits,and also r2 on all circuits.also the r2 test,i understand its a continuity test on the cpc to a seperate earth to furthest point in circuit.Have i got this right?
thanks philip b

Normally either R1+R2 or R2 tests are carried out.

Watch out for terminology, r1 and r2 are used as symbols for ring continuity values.

Have a read of this for some help: http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG6_09.pdf

Hi IQ,
Double checked with elecsa,they say R1 +R2 and R2 tests must be done on all circuits
with no exceptions,only time not to do them if no cpc to lighting circuit for example.
regards philipb

Hi IQ,
Double checked with elecsa,they say R1 +R2 and R2 tests must be done on all circuits
with no exceptions,only time not to do them if no cpc to lighting circuit for example.
regards philipb

Oh dear, must be a beginner on the helpdesk then, both tests are 'continuity of protective conductor tests' and confirm exactly that with the R1+R2 test having the added benefit of polarity.

Ask the ELECSA helpdesk if they have access to Guidance Note 3 and page 94 in particular where the either/or method is explained!

Hi yellowvanman,
That is what i thought,so i did my yearly visit from elecsa and he said i had only
done R1 +R2 and he gave me a nonconformance for not doing the R2.
philipb

I beleive my forms say (words to the effect of): 'at least one column must be filled in'.

It doesn't say BOTH, so I'd be looking into that. ... well not too far to cause the assessor any problems obviously!

Hi Guys,
thanks philip b

Guidance note 3 explains fully the tests you are trying to get your head around. It may be easier for you to get it and have a read, than try to work it out for yourself.

Cheers.......howard

I beleive my forms say (words to the effect of): 'at least one column must be filled in'.

It doesn't say BOTH, so I'd be looking into that. ... well not too far to cause the assessor any problems obviously!

I think the assessor has enough problems if he's struggling at this level!

Oh dear, must be a beginner on the helpdesk then, both tests are 'continuity of protective conductor tests' and confirm exactly that with the R1+R2 test having the added benefit of polarity.

Ask the ELECSA helpdesk if they have access to Guidance Note 3 and page 94 in particular where the either/or method is explained!

Typical helpdesk people!

I spoke to someone on the helpdesk at NICEIC to clarify if adding a new ring a "Major Job" or "Minor Job" and he kept assuring me that it's a "Minor Job". I then asked him to put me thro' to the technical team who confirmed that it's a "Major Job" and notifyable.

I think we're getting confused between minor job in terms of assessment and minor job as in BS7671:2008 definition.

The installation of any new circuits means an EIC must be issued as opposed to a MEIWC however 1 new ring final would be classesd as a minor job in terms of the 2 jobs for NICEIC assessment.

I think we're getting confused between minor job in terms of assessment and minor job as in BS7671:2008 definition.

The installation of any new circuits means an EIC must be issued as opposed to a MEIWC however 1 new ring final would be classesd as a minor job in terms of the 2 jobs for NICEIC assessment.

That's what I thought too, but the technical guy said for the assessment, a new ring circuit will be regarded as a "Major Job". He suggested, I do a spur extension or add a light socket for the "Minor Job".

Sorry to hijack this thread!

Hi yellowvanman,
That is what i thought,so i did my yearly visit from elecsa and he said i had only
done R1 +R2 and he gave me a nonconformance for not doing the R2.
philipb

I think you have grounds to ask for the "nonconformance for not doing the R2" recinded because the ELECSA form says "All circuits (at least one column to be completed).

Madness on the part of the assessor

Reply to partr p testing and documentation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock