Discuss Pass mark for 2391 Oct 2011 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

cjp1

-
Reaction score
Morning Everyone,
Did the 2391 last night and dont think I did enough to pass, been revising for months but as soon as the exam starts the mind went blank.
Completely balls up the question about the swa feeding the garage, worried about running out of time so went off on one about check this and that as if it was a new install then right at the end realised it was an existing cable so expecting no marks for that.
Does anyone know how many marks you need to pass?
I can remember the questions so when I get time I will type them out on here.
Cheers Chris

Don't think there is a pass mark set in stone depends how candidates do in the exam. Usually though bout 90 marks or roughly 60% as a rough guide.

The next exam is december and registration closes at the end of october but i felt the same as you......felt confident about the exam.......felt confident about my answers and then read a few remarks on here and have started to doubt myself. I have enquired if i can just book in for the december exam at the same centre and was told no.......the earlyist i can re-take if need be is February 2012!

Good luck though........am sure you have done allright........we all cant remember everything spot on!

i took it last night as well, and ill be honest unless im really stupid i found the first 4 questions really hard and the majority of the 1st section, im thinking it could of been down to the course i took because we mainly concentrated on past papers so when questions arose i hadnt really seen before i really struggled

Don't lose heart yet, you may have done enough, I missed out one 10 mark question on my exam (not thinking clearly and jumped to the next!) and was panicking for the next 42 working days but passed in the end.

I agree with Crags variable pass mark around 60% ish, but never specified by C&G.

The next exam is december and registration closes at the end of october but i felt the same as you......felt confident about the exam.......felt confident about my answers and then read a few remarks on here and have started to doubt myself. I have enquired if i can just book in for the december exam at the same centre and was told no.......the earlyist i can re-take if need be is February 2012!

Good luck though........am sure you have done allright........we all cant remember everything spot on!
I just spoke to city & guilds this morning and explianed my concearn with last nights exam and they said that I can book onto the December 2011 exam now incase I failed the one last night.
Cheers Chris

I started a new thread in the testing section with this post, but it seemed invisible to anyone except me!

Didn't seem too bad?
It lacked the usual earthing system diagram and the insulation resistance calculation.

Couple of questions that I've remembered:

Section A:

If a MCB has a Ics of 10kA and a Icn of 6kA and an overload of 8kA occurs, what action should you take?

State three human senses that could be used during an inspection of an installation.

What documents should you be provided with when carrying out a PIR?

a) What is the maximum impedance for a 300mA RCD protected TT system?
b) What is the maximum allowable earth electrode resistance?
c) how would you test a TT system with a 300mA RCD

What are the required test voltages for the following circuits:
a) 12v SELV
b) 650V
c) 400v Kiln circuit

List the correct names of the conductors that connect these items to the main earthing terminal:
a) earth electrode
b) incoming gas pipe
c) forgotten

List three precautions to be taken prior to commencing an insulation test.

State the IP code of:
a) Something in Zone 2 of a bathroom
b) A barrier? in a DB that can be accessed with out the use of tools
c) forgotton!

State the earthing arrangement at the supply that has that has:
a) supply with the only earth located at the supply transformer
b) a multicore supply cable with a seperate earth and neutral
c) PEN

If a ring continuity circuit has resistances of L-L 0.4ohm, N-N 0.4ohm, CPC 0.? What will the resistance be if measured at a socket? (possibly asking R1+ R2, can't remember!)

State 3 functional tests that should be carried out after testing a socket(???) circuit?
What happens to the resistance of a conductor if its 0.4ohm to start with:
It halves in in length?
It doubles in diameter?
It doubles in length and halves in diameter?

Section B:

Scenario involving a house that needed to be PIR'd, had a garage connected with SWA and had a loft extension that had had a new lighting circuit, socket circuit and shower? Also new CCU fitted.

List 5 checks you would make on the SWA as part of the PIR.
Explain how you would do these checks.

State two Statutory DOCUMENTS relevant to inspection and testing.

State three non-statutory PUBLICATIONS relevant to inspection and testing.

List all the documents to be completed for the scenario mentioned.

Explain how to perform a CPC continuity test on a lighting circuit.

Explain the dangers of using faulty testing equipment?

List the tests in order that you would carry out on a newly installed ring final circuit.

a) Explain why the measures Zs values cannot be directly compared to the maximum tabulated values in BS7671
b) calculate from the table given whether the stated Zs values would comply with BS7671 after calculating the correction factor (it wasn't worded like this!)

Explain IN DETAIL the testing current and the maximum trip time of a 30mA RCD.
State the dangers of a RCD test. Or requirements?

That's all I can remember!

Last edited:

I thought I had failed my 2nd attempt at the 2391 theory so I booked onto the next exam date which I was told you could not do but was then told you could. While making my way to take the 3rd attempt at the exam got a phone call from the training centre..........I quickly turned the car round raced home and cracked a few cans of beer open....Quite excellent timing on the part of the training centre.

Don't give up hope you never know

I started a new thread in the testing section with this post, but it seemed invisible to anyone except me!
Sorry Mate, did not mean to upset anyone by starting this thread, how did you answer the question about the swa supplying the external garage?
I think that is the question I ballsed up, I answered it as if it was a new installation completly missed the pir bit as I was worried about running out of time.
Cheers Chris

I forgot to mention to use a low resistance ohmmeter for the swa R1+R2 test, schoolboy error I know..... Does anyone know if I lose all the marks for the question??

I've got a copy of the paper in the car, I'll fetch it in (in the morning) and post up any questions you guys want to discuss.

I forgot to mention to use a low resistance ohmmeter for the swa R1+R2 test, schoolboy error I know..... Does anyone know if I lose all the marks for the question??

Responded to your PM :willy_nilly:

Sorry Mate, did not mean to upset anyone by starting this thread, how did you answer the question about the swa supplying the external garage?
I think that is the question I ballsed up, I answered it as if it was a new installation completly missed the pir bit as I was worried about running out of time.
Cheers Chris

I wasn't joking, the thread didnt work for anyone apart from me! After 18 hours it had no replys and 1 view (me) no idea what happened?! :)

For the SWA question, I put;
Check the thermoplastic covering for cracks / damage.
Check for conductor correctly connected into terminals.
Check Steel Armour is earthed.
Check Banjo is fitted.
Check rating of cable to see if its suitable.

No idea if its right though!

good luck to you guys who sat the exam it can be a hard one especially the way city and guild ask their questions but a well deserved qualification after passing the exam most greatly received cert I ever had good luck guys!!!

Hi all also did the 2391 on thursday, my mind must of gone blank coz i thing I didn't do well. I think out of all the questions i ballsed up the most was the swa question & it was 15 marks just on that, crap!!!!

What are 3 practical steps an inspector can use, to ensure safety? Q5
3 possible outcomes for not checking the leads? Q6

Last edited:

Reply to Pass mark for 2391 Oct 2011 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net