Discuss Passed 2391 Practical in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AP Electrical

Passed 2391 practical today I was only one from my class - well made up. :)

Advice to anyone ready to take practical - make up a few leads with croc clips on each end use instead of the terminal blocks they provide for doing R1+R2 - much quicker.

Well done.......why did the others fail? was it anything to with safe isolation, or was it an assessor issue, or something else?

I provide Wago connectors for my testing courses.

Cheers...............Howard

Well done.......why did the others fail? was it anything to with safe isolation, or was it an assessor issue, or something else?

I provide Wago connectors for my testing courses.

Cheers...............Howard

Alright Howard,

From what I was told they failed for various reasons think the main one being nerves , there's nothing like a guy watching you for a couple of hours to get the nerves twitching.

I took wago's for that reason but the conductors were knackered (bent over) so couldnt fit them in thats why I went with croc clipped fly leads.

Congrats and welldone. It is very uneasy when there is somebody over your shoulder assessing you luckily the guy we had was very easy going and kept an eye on us from a distance.

I always make sure everyone is settled, let them get familiar with the test rig layout, and i also make allowances for nerves. During the course you get to know the candidates personalities, and who is more confident than others. Its very easy for me to say you have no need to be nervous, but when i did mine i froze for 20 minutes, and didn't have a clue what to do.

I dont look for perfection in the Practical assessments, i look more for safe working practices, and a good demonstration of competence and ability. If someone makes a mistake which isn't safety related, and points it out to me, explains what they did wrong and why, then i let them redo that particular test. In the real world who does all the test and inspections to perfection......NOBODY, so why should an exam be any different. No one ever got killed or injured working on a dead circuit.

Good point about the bent cable ends, i will make some leads for my next course.

Cheers....Howard

I was lucky the guy that took me said after 10 mins do you smoke i said yes, he said you have 5mins to go and have a smoke and get rid of the nerves,then passed first time.

I do have great respect for the examiners on these tests,most are in the main very very qualified people,,,but in many cases I would have to question how many times they themselves have done the testing and inspection for real on site.....doing it in a controlled environment in a classroom on a rig on a wall is one thing,, doing it for real on a working site is something else,,,,Who tests them and how often??

Believe me I have come across a few very very qualified people in my time,,,who are ok,,,,,until you put a screwdriver in their hand, ask them to cut out a chase with a hammer and Chisel,,,,or take up carpets/floorboards and fish cables around under a floor.....it can often be a very very different situation then...common sense and the hands on tools experience is not always their best Fort'e...

Cheers for the croc clip/wago tips, makes a lot of sense. Anything to keep the "flow" going on that board! Practical Weds, cant say I am too worried. The theory still bothers me. We all have strengths and weaknesses, just hope the long questions are "kind," had no real world experience of TTs for example, but 3phase and DOLs, fault finding... yes please!

Reply to Passed 2391 Practical in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net