Discuss Passed EAL level 3 electrical installation, now what? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Basically the title but a few things to add to that.

I've been struggling to find an apprenticeship. There are almost no apprenticeships in my area (Birmingham). Am I looking in the wrong places? I tried JTL, job sites and a bunch of electrical training sites and I can't seem to find anything.

I feel so down about it, because it's what I want to do and I cant even find an opportunity to do it. Im working a job that's completely unrelated to electrical and the moment (I'm 20) and I feel like my time is running out. It just feels like I wasted two years in college on a course that's useless.

Any suggestions?

I'm sure others will know a hell lot more then me on here but I'd say The course at college wasn't useless as I'm sure you've completed the start of the reconised route into becoming an electrician & them 2 yrs will help you on the way.

The downer is Unfortunately this is one of the reasons why you have training centres turning up everywhere with domestic courses due to many finding it hard or impossible getting on the apprenticeship ladder.

In the 80's & 90's many firms struggled to get apprentices now it's sort of flipped the other way but keep plugging away I'm sure something will come up & good luck.

maybe getting work as a mate may help. at least you'll get some hands on experience. at 20, time is on your side. just keep plugging away. send applications to local firms etc.

maybe getting work as a mate may help. at least you'll get some hands on experience. at 20, time is on your side. just keep plugging away. send applications to local firms etc.
Don't know about others, an Apprenticeship is what it is, a time of in house training, with trade experience, substantiated with formal education, gained at a formal educational establishment, like a technical college, not some fly by night training establishment dreamt up by some politician after someone got a belt after some cowboy did a job for them.
This is what is wrong with today's Electrical industry, to many people thinking that after a couple of weeks they are Electricians, it may fit the Governments bill, but in reality, it only compounds the problem, it's about time the Mandarins in Parliament realised this and stopped worrying about how much they can claim this month, from the contributions YOU make when paying taxes, parasites all of them.

As said before, contact all your local electrical companies. Most will jump out at the chance for a bit of labour. Larger firms may consider you for an apprenticeship, but if you’ve already spent two years in college it doesn’t seem necessary.
However, experience is essential and reflects pay. As long as you don’t have many commitments expect to be paid low while you gain crucial knowledge. I started when I was 16 so the money wasn’t an issue.
If you have experience, be pro active and take pictures of your installations and experiences to be different from the rest.

As said before, contact all your local electrical companies. Most will jump out at the chance for a bit of labour. Larger firms may consider you for an apprenticeship, but if you’ve already spent two years in college it doesn’t seem necessary.
However, experience is essential and reflects pay. As long as you don’t have many commitments expect to be paid low while you gain crucial knowledge. I started when I was 16 so the money wasn’t an issue.
If you have experience, be pro active and take pictures of your installations and experiences to be different from the rest.

Don't I need an apprenticeship to get my NVQ though? So what if I have experience if I can't Legally be an electrician since I would need to be fully qualified to become one.

This is what is wrong with today's Electrical industry, to many people thinking that after a couple of weeks they are Electricians, it may fit the Governments bill, but in reality, it only compounds the problem, it's about time the Mandarins in Parliament realised this and stopped worrying about how much they can claim this month, from the contributions YOU make when paying taxes, parasites all of them.

It's the reason why I am on a 2 year course at college, not a 5 week course. I'm 38, zero chance of an apprenticeship. Luckily I have experience from elsewhere.

Don't I need an apprenticeship to get my NVQ though? So what if I have experience if I can't Legally be an electrician since I would need to be fully qualified to become one.

If you don't mind not being called "Time served electrician" then there are other routes to get your NVQ

There is no one definition of what constitutes an electrician

There are schemes such as the Jib which sets certain standards and qualifications that they decide is required
There are also many instances and many industries where experience far outweighs the holding of qualifications

Whether its gaining qualifications or gaining experience,both will be essential in your development,take what you can get,any practical experience is never wasted

The way I'd do it if you don't mind doing building sites:

First get an ECS card (£48 and 15min exam, you need it to work on sites)

Then do an online search for electrical jobs in Birmingham (don't think I'm allowed to post any names of sites); you'll find loads! Apply for an electrical mate or electrical improver job and tell them you've got a couple of years on site experience. (don't feel bad about bending the truth to them, all they care about is taking a cut of your wages)

Agree a day to start and book a day off from your current job.

Explain your situation to the guy in charge as soon as you get there and offer to work for less money if you can be shown the ropes a bit (tell him you're a hard worker, quick learner etc etc)

Worst that can happen is he'll tell you he doesn't want you and you've lost a days work, but he might like your initiative and take you under his wing.

Okay so what you guys are saying is should look for an entry level (electrician mate?) kind of job and just build my CV?

I just checked and there's quite a few of those but just need to get me a cscs card.

Might be worth contacting the JIB about what courses to take next to get further grading. What to do to get approved or an installation electrician grading. I’m not 100% sure on what exactly EAL leads to. You’ll have to complete an AM2 practical assessment and a testing qualification I think.

Might be worth contacting the JIB about what courses to take next to get further grading. What to do to get approved or an installation electrician grading. I’m not 100% sure on what exactly EAL leads to. You’ll have to complete an AM2 practical assessment and a testing qualification I think.
EAL 2/3 Electrical installation is equivalent to C&G, despite what some people think. Both are classed as tech qualifications. Both put you on the same road.

Get an ecs card and just get on site as a mate. Www.ecscard.org

If you search electricians mates, you'll find the agencies who will get you a start.

It's more beneficial to get your qualifications while working in the industry as it'll make more sense to you as you go along.

I started when I was 20 and did EAL as I went along, I worked on the same firm for 5 years. I know some good sparks who didn't get involved till they were 25.

Reply to Passed EAL level 3 electrical installation, now what? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net