Discuss Pat Homemade Kit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kentster

Hi All

Just done testing and came across some homemade lights. Basically a standard metal 4 spot bar with the rose cut off and mounted onto a longer metal pole so they can be attached to stands at shows.

I failed them due to no earth continuity plus obviously no CE markings as this is a DIY job.

My question though, is even without a CE mark, if they appear to be constructed safely and pass earth continuity and insulation resistance could they have been passed?? For example if they hadn't had removed the ceiling rose and connected the flex correctly into it (with the earth) and mounted on a wooden batten, if it passed all the tests would you pass it?

I'd decide on a case by case basis - in this case obviously as there was no earth continuity that is a fail, but you can buy exhibition lights off the shelf so there would have been no need to jury rig them.

I passed a homemade panic call system (button under the reception desk sounds an alarm and flashes a light in the post room) which was based around a transformer in an adaptable box, because after investigation I came to the conclusion that I'd pass it if it didn't have a plug on it, like a contactor box.
Same kind of thing with a purpose made lampholder stuck in a bottle or vase to turn it into a table lamp - the overall 'product' may not be CE marked but if in my opinion it's safe enough I'll be happy to pass it.

There is no requirement within the Code of Practice for an item under PAT test to have a CE mark.
CE marking indicates that a product has been assessed before being placed on the market for sale and thus satisfies the EU legislative requirements (e.g. a harmonised level of safety) and may be sold throughout the European Economic Area.
You may well be testing equipment manufactured before CE assessment was introduced in it's current form (1993) or even before the Low Voltage Directive was introduced (1973). Or you may be testing custom built equipment which was never intended for sale or sold in the EEU area.
Also the CE and other markings (eg. Class markings) are widely faked, they should be taken at face value and not relied upon as fact.
The equipment passes or fails solely on your inspection and testing in accordance with the COP, not whether it has a CE mark or not.

Hi All

Just done testing and came across some homemade lights. Basically a standard metal 4 spot bar with the rose cut off and mounted onto a longer metal pole so they can be attached to stands at shows.

I failed them due to no earth continuity plus obviously no CE markings as this is a DIY job.

My question though, is even without a CE mark, if they appear to be constructed safely and pass earth continuity and insulation resistance could they have been passed?? For example if they hadn't had removed the ceiling rose and connected the flex correctly into it (with the earth) and mounted on a wooden batten, if it passed all the tests would you pass it?

As some of the others have already identified it is not a fail if the equipment does not have a CE mark. It is important to ensure compliance with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 though which states under regulation 4 that the equipment must be constructed or adapted as suitable for the purpose for which it is used or provided. Therefore you are right to fail it this time as you imply it is a Class I piece of equipment and therefore should have a good earth continuity.

Reply to Pat Homemade Kit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net