Discuss PAT: Metal framed lightshade on class 1 ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
Conventional metal framed lightshade on a class 1 luminaire. (Luminaire itself is all safe).

Lightshade insulated from brass bayonet lampholder by plastic diameter/size-reduction ring.

I thus define the shade as double insulated part, - and it's OK for it to float unearthed?

For me as the light (luminaire) itself is a class 1 and the shade is part of the light installation, its an exposed conductive part and so should be earthed! Why not ditch the plastic ring and fit a 'metal' one so using the earth already present on the 'bayonet' for the light shade?

Because the metal ones strike me as dodgy way to get a nice earth connection: Painted metal on the 'shade (even if scraped back to the steel, it's not nice), against user-operated lamp/clamp ring which could be loose/lost or not fitted.

I think I'd sooner stick with the plastic ring and leave the shade to float, but not sure what others do, hence my question. There must me millions of such lamps in the UK, and though many are double insulated, a lot won't be. I'm surprised it isn't a common question.

BS 7671:
Exposed-conductive-part.
Conductive part of equipment which can be touched and which is not normally live, but which can become live under fault conditions.

No earthing to the shade required.

I'd argue that the shade isn't part of 'the equipment', it's just an accessory. The fitting would work correctly and be safe without it.

Plus, it's pretty hard to imagine any sort of fault that would make the shade live.

Hi Handysparks. Agreed Thanks. Handy then there is a plastic ring. Painted lampshades direct to a brass lampholder wouldn't qualify IMO.
Rgds

shade is a phenomenon that buggers up your solar.

OK, I've just looked up the definition. I don't think it says that a shade is 'equipment'. What do you think a shade is?

All very much down to individual interpretation but mine from the BGB is ....
Exposed-conductive-part ; Conductive part of equipment etc......
Equipment/electrical equipment : accessories, appliances & luminaires .... (i.e. the lamp)
(You define the shade as an accessory. I actual think its part of the equipment but going with your your definition.)
Accessory : ... associated with such equipment (i.e. the shade as part of the lamp)

Ultimately you as the inspector decide what you asses/grade it as and your assessment will never be questioned ...... until a court of law has reason to look into it!! For me its all about covering your butt .....

The luminaire itself, has been proven to be safe, so in the unlikely event of an E fault, the entirely trustworthy circuit would disconnect the supply.
The lamp shade is completely irrelevant!

The luminaire itself, has been proven to be safe, so in the unlikely event of an E fault, the entirely trustworthy circuit would disconnect the supply. The lamp shade is completely irrelevant!
True for every Class 1 piece of equipment and their exposed conductive parts! Why bother earthing ……

True for every Class 1 piece of equipment and their exposed conductive parts! Why bother earthing ……

The shade is a secondary exposed conductive part, see Amendment 1 of the latest CoP for ISITEE.
As long as the primary ECP is properly earthed, anything attached is exempted! :wink_smile:

The shade is a secondary exposed conductive part, see Amendment 1 of the latest CoP for ISITEE.
As long as the primary ECP is properly earthed, anything attached is exempted! :wink_smile:

I never cease to learn on the forum! Thats the first Ive heard of 'primary' and 'secondary' ECP's ..... but I will resist the urge to purchase the book to discover more!

"secondary Exposed conductive part". News for me too. Thanks Archy.

I put a bid on the 4th edition CoP month ago but missed it. Maybe need to just dig deep and buy a new one.

meeting disconnection times under fault conditions....

so, the BC holder is earthed.....

no need for the shade to be so earthed....and in fact a potential could be introduced by doing so....

Reply to PAT: Metal framed lightshade on class 1 ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock