Discuss PAT test question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

simtrinity

Hi all,
I am a female technician at uni with no electrical background knowledge. I just did a two day PAT testing course and the exam is next week. There's a sample question that I do not quite understand, so if any of you could help me out it would be appreciated.

The question is:
Q: An electric shock through failure of basic protection (direct contact) occurs when a person touches

A) the metal casing of a Class I appliance made live by a fault
B) the earth terminal of an appliance in operation
C) the phase terminal of an appliance in operation, which has its outer covers removed
D) an exposed-conductive-part made live by a fault

I have the answers and I know that the correct answer is C. But initially I went for A, as the casing is live. But I guess if everything is earthed correctly then I won't get an electric shock. Is that right?
And I figured the same applies to Answer D.
Does 'earth terminal' refer to the earth pin in the plug? Either way, I figure that since the earth terminal has an electric potential of zero, I would not be able to get an electric shock. Correct?

So if C is the correct answer, where is the phase terminal? Inside the appliance or does it refer to the phase pin in the plug top? Probably sounds silly but I am confused. Does touching the phase terminal bypass the protective earthing and that's why I would get en electric shock?

Thanks a lot for your help!

simtrinity

Hi answers A and D are both wrong because they mention fault conditions basic protection does not involve faults

Hope that helps

Chris

Sorry had to cut the answer short the Mrs called and I obeyed:D

Dont worry about terminals and things like that. I hope your instructor has told you the C&G 2377 PAT Testing is an open book exam which means you have the book with you and can refer to it for the answer.

Think of electricity as water it will always take the easiest route so if you touch something that is live and not earthed you are the easiest path and get a shock. If however the same item is earthed it will pick the easiest route to earth which isnt you so no shock.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
it says in the iee pat testing book.If you dont have this you will fail the exam.

Hi Chris,
thanks a lot for your help.
I know it's an open book exam. But the book didn't help with this one and I hate guessing. I want to understand why a certain answer is the right one and now I understand why it can't be A or D... :)

Thanks again!

P.S. Can you tell me why Class II equiment is the most appropriate for outdoors use?

Cheers,
Simone

Hi Joe

The PAT Testing book ISBN 9780863418334 which is the one you mention. This book is used on the course and all the questions in the exam can be found in this book so if you dont have it you are on a loser straight away as any other book may not have all the answers in it

Chris

Class II equipment denoted by two squares one inside the other is most suitable because its double insulated and even an idiot like me:D would find it almost impossible to get a shock.

Best example of Class II I can give you is perhaps your hair dryer have a look on the label or casing for the double square if its on it your appliance is all plastic. If you open the plug you will also see that you dont have an earth because its not needed.

Always willing to help

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I have passed the pat testing course.Does anybody know the standard price rate for each appliance.Thanks

It varys throughout the country and how many appliances you are testing in one place ie a factory with 100 appliances to test would be quoted a lower price than a rented house with only 5. Prices vary but I have seen them as low as 50p up to about £2.00 per item

Chris

Hi

Appreciate what you are saying but you mention the word fault iee regs define Basic Protection as protection against electric shock under FAULT FREE conditions.

Chris

It varys throughout the country and how many appliances you are testing in one place ie a factory with 100 appliances to test would be quoted a lower price than a rented house with only 5. Prices vary but I have seen them as low as 50p up to about £2.00 per item

Chris

I do some PAT testing for a letting agent. I do all their other electrical work so I'm obliged to do the PATs,

It's a dull job and an electrician can't make money on them. Time plus pat test machine, lables etc. There are a lot of non sparks doing these tests day in day out for not a lot of money.

Let them keep em I say.

Mark

Thanks again Chris,
and yes, that is the book I have. Was given a copy at work which I can keep and label up for the test as much as I like to find things more quickly (and of course use during PAT testing as well).

I'll let you know if I have anymore questions.

--------------------

old dog,

hi i would say the answer is A
as if a live fault on the metal casing with no earth
woud be a FAILURE of basic protection

That's what I thought at first as the question reads 'failure of basic protection' so there is a fault. The answer sheet says C is correct, though. Let's hope the question doesn't come up, but if it does I'll go for C :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Simone

Anybody requiring to get PAT testing questions at a great price contact Dennis Wheeler on this email [email protected] he has a great program that gives you feedback showing you which questions you got wrong and by reviewing your answers you can see where you went wrong.
It's a great program i passed with 92% and the exam only took me less than 20 minutes.

Dave
If I have posted this wrong I'm sorry I'm new to the forum

Reply to PAT test question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock