Discuss PAT Tester broken but i can use megger? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello guys

my seaward PAT tester has given up the ghost, i have some small PAT jobs coming up and was thinking short term of being able to just use my multi function meter.

R2 test on class 1 equipment using low voltage ohm meter
Insulation resistance testing with leads

Trying to think what other limitations i have by just using my multi function test instrument?

I'm not certain what the current PAT testing consists of,but if the tests are possible using a calibrated MFT,i would assume it was OK.

There are earth continuity,polarity and IR tests,so an MFT would cover these. It is not a statutory requirement,so as long as any certification you provide,matches the testing you have done,all is well.

I was told.a long time ago,that you could offer PAT testing,as a purely visual only examination,providing the certification,stated this. Obviously,this does not example due diligence,too thoroughly,but would be legal.

Last edited:
OP - do the items you are checking actually need any testing? Most small appliances these days are class II and may only need inspection. Remember, the phrase 'PAT Testing' is misleading.

Also bear in mind the HSE guidance on the inspection/testing of equipment in low risk environments - there is a document available.

A lot of people are surprised about how little actual testing is needed.

As Westward 10 saysyou will miss the high current earth bond test, you will spend ages pratting about trying to get good continuity.
There are frequently Seaward Supernova Plus's for sale on ebay for ridiculous money, I bought another the other day for £25.22 delivered. Cracking tester if a bit chunky

If it's only a short term fix he may not need the high current earth bond test.

Many handheld PAT testers only produce 200mA “Soft” earth bond current. BTW, Portable Appliance Tester refers to the test meter being portable not the appliances ranging from handheld to fixed!

Many handheld PAT testers only produce 200mA “Soft” earth bond current. BTW, Portable Appliance Tester refers to the test meter being portable not the appliances ranging from handheld to fixed!

To be accurate, PAT is a non existent phrase. The correct terminology is ISITEE.

Portable is irrelevant as you say.

I find the abbreviation ISITEE mildly irritating :)
Why is that Westy, I find PAT Testing very irritable Testing twice, Portable Appliance Testing, Testing, almost as bad as "I Megered the install", when we all should know Megger is a Trade name NOT a test procedure.

I find abbreviations irritating in general but the appearance of ISITEE is particularly annoying.
Yeah know what you mean Mate, unfortunately that's what we are given to work with, annoying for those who know the difference.

I know what you mean westy, but it's got to be better than PAT testing. That phrase perpetuates the myth that it is only portable appliances, and that is only about testing - when we all know that inspection is the big part of it.

i find it extremely annoying coz i never can get the "I"s , "T"'s, and "E"s in the right order. all the right letters, but.......

I know what you mean westy, but it's got to be better than PAT testing. That phrase perpetuates the myth that it is only portable appliances, and that is only about testing - when we all know that inspection is the big part of it.
Yeah very good point, When I worked for the DOE/PSA we had a testing regime, "Testing Power consuming Apparatus" all those years ago and someone got it right.

i find it extremely annoying coz i never can get the "I"s , "T"'s, and "E"s in the right order. all the right letters, but.......

I'll be honest tel, I had a quick peek at the COP to make sure I got it right!

Reply to PAT Tester broken but i can use megger? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock