Discuss Pat tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm after new pat tester , last time it ought about pat testing I as thinking I the handy pat as done all test on battery mode and plugged in if need live supply..

any opinions welcomed

How much PAt testing are you doing?
If you are only doing a small amount then use your MFT.
Other wise if you are doing a lot you then need to know how much functionality you need.
The battery ones are very handy to use, if they have mains capability then that is a bonus as they can do the 25A current test.
You would then need to be sure you could use the storage and download facilities to get your results out onto your reports, just try and find one that is easy to use!
Someone else will have much better recommendations.;)

How much PAt testing are you doing?
If you are only doing a small amount then use your MFT.
Other wise if you are doing a lot you then need to know how much functionality you need.
The battery ones are very handy to use, if they have mains capability then that is a bonus as they can do the 25A current test.
You would then need to be sure you could use the storage and download facilities to get your results out onto your reports, just try and find one that is easy to use!
Someone else will have much better recommendations.;)
not good.

how do you tension the CPC to 25A...?

Hi mate - we only had an MFT comparison chart that we uploaded to the forum a while back.

With so many manufacturer's discontinuing established models of PAT tester and releasing new models at this point in time, we are holding back on releasing a PAT comparison chart. However, you can tick the options that you'd like a PAT to offer on our website and the site will automatically filter out applicable options for you.

There are a few things to think about if you're considering a PAT. As Richard Burns suggested, an MFT will fulfill all of the legal requirements for PAT testing and this could be a real money saver if you're testing very occasionally.

However, if you're testing anything over 50 appliances annually (properly...), the paper trail can soon get out of hand and it may save you time, money and hassle investing in a downloadable PAT tester.

Prices start at the following for downloadable PAT solutions (prices include forum discount):

Metrel: £375+VAT (GammaPAT Pro)
Seaward: £405+VAT (The new Primetest 250+, which is both mains and battery powered)
Kewtech: £660+VAT (KT77 PAT)
Megger: £679+VAT (PAT410)

Some of the above options feature a 110V socket for you to test 110V tools, but remember you can purchase a 13A 230V to 16A 110V socket adaptor for any PAT tester.

If you have 5 minutes, I'm happy to talk you through a few different options - 01132 48 99 66, or PM/email me on [email protected]

I had the kewtech kt71 before , so something similar to that with battery mode aswell, I thought the Martindale handy pat 600 was the one , but doesn't mention load/run test with earth leakage,.

OK, so if you're in need of a mains and battery powered tester, that cuts down your choice a bit.

The KT71 has a nice rotary dial on it, but all of the models that you'll need to consider have computer menu layouts which can be a benefit. I'll recommend a couple of models to you:

1) Metrel DeltaPAT
2) Seaward Primetest 250+

Both options will complete a mains load and run test on 230V appliances.

The HandyPAT 600 is solely a battery powered unit. It completes a 'substitute leakage test' which is basically a simulated leakage test conducted at around 40V as the unit is battery operated. The leakage measurement is then calculated by the tester as if the appliance under test was powered at 230V (a simple ohms law calculation). This test satisfies the guidelines outlaid by the IET.

The Seaward is by far the more simple tester to operate. It comes supplied with a download utility so you can store all of your PAT data in something like Microsoft Excel. If you had the budget, you could also team it up with a label printer so pass and fail labels are automatically printed after each test.

Reply to Pat tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net