Discuss pat testing a storage heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

soulman

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, I am doing a bit of work for a landlord & he has asked whether i would pat test a few of his flats. I always pat test the fixed appliances as well and quote accordingly when testing a cooker especially if it earth leakage i only put on one of the rings at a time and test so as not to overload kt71 pat tester. But i need to test storage heaters would i best using my multifunction & testing earth continuity & IR rather than pat tester

Cheers

Hi, Quite new to pat testing myself, dont really want to do it, but i have been getting asked for it. If the cooker contains electronics, earth leakage test (live test) putting on all the rings or all rings & oven may take it over 3 kw to much for test instrument. So as storage heater usually contain no electronics could i just multifunction? Cheers

I think you mean if the storage heater is on an off peak supply well how do you test it so as it is a fixed appliance you would have to disconnect it at the switch on the wall fine if you are an electrician but if you are a PAT tester you are not authorised or insured for this.This would be the same with the cooker.

You have touched on a sensitive subject here as there is problems within the PAT industry with regards to testing fixed appliances

I was taught to conduct this test instead of IR where the unit contain electronic equipment such a microwave. I also maybe wrong!!

Class I = Earth Bond and IR Test.
Class II = Insulation Test.

You can optionally do a flash test (if you have the equipment to do it and understand the consequences of getting it wrong!). It is generally recommended to do an operational test at the appropriate voltage (230/110).

Class I = Earth Bond and IR Test.
Class II = Insulation Test.

You can optionally do a flash test (if you have the equipment to do it and understand the consequences of getting it wrong!). It is generally recommended to do an operational test at the appropriate voltage (230/110).

Class II insulation test yet I get told most guys do a visual as the tester links out L&N and then references the test to earth or have I got this wrong?

Class II insulation test yet I get told most guys do a visual as the tester links out L&N and then references the test to earth or have I got this wrong?
No that's spot on mate. You are checking the L+N together against the case (and want a high reading), usually at 500V(DC).

This is really a subset of the PUWER regulations and covers a lot more than just portable equipment. It's more correctly known as In-Service Testing and Inspection of Electrical Equipment. Have a read here: http://search.------.org/iet/search...6;jsessionid=B2DD01E524B580F9AE66E75D101AF3DE

Portable appliance testing is for portable items of equipment not cookers and storage heaters the clue is in the portable bit

Emmmm no actually it has been ISI&TEE (formally PAT) since last year because people are saying the same thing of the phrase Portable Appliance Testing is only for portable equipment the problem is the ISI&TEE COPs says otherwise. HSE have commissioned a report into the industry because of this so whats the problem well I&T covers fixed wiring and ISI&TEE covers all electrical equipment the only problem is that guys who are PAT tester trained only are not (and never will be) authorised or insured to open up FCU,cooker switches etc. Yes this is a headache but as usual it will be the insurance companies who get thing changed

Emmmm no actually it has been ISI&TEE (formally (sic) PAT) since last year because people are saying the same thing of the phrase Portable Appliance Testing

Surely it has always been called In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment as that is what it says on the cover of the Code of Practice. PAT is a slang term which is used - can't say it was ever an official term certainly for a long time now.

Portable Appliance Testing Testing (PAT Testing) is just what people know it as? I do the testing on one of the clubs near by and they get all the fixed stuff tested too but it's all on the MF tester visual etc, IR and continuity. There's provisions for portable, fixed, hand held and movable now isn't there?

Surely it has always been called In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment as that is what it says on the cover of the Code of Practice. PAT is a slang term which is used - can't say it was ever an official term certainly for a long time now.

Yep I agree thats what I meant to say is that the lecturer of the ISI&TEE course I went on was telling us that the term PAT has now taken hold to urban myth status and this is causing much hand ringing as the Schemies are just ignoring it whilst as he says it is non compliance with the COP not to test fixed appliances plus he said the colleges were asked to certify PAT testers to do this equipment and it was a straight no and there lies the problem the Schemies have sold and promoted PAT for non electricians who now find they can only part of it. He reckons that there will be a relaunch this year to eradicate the term PAT

Hasel5 sorry you are completly wrong you shouldn't really post a sarcastic comment if you dont know what your talking about! Just because it hasn't got a plug doesn't mean you should test it,a cooker can be just as dangerous as a kettle. You wouldn't test a cooker as often as it is not often moved. Stevep i think you have answered my original post for the storage heaters. I'll just test with my multifunction. cheers.
It is also a grey area to whether FAT testing should be done while conducting a periodic or when pat testing. I always write in the limitations of an EICR, No fat or pat testing within the property unless specified.

Sorry guys not getting this a pat tester has a built in socket to plug the piece of kit onto ?

Any other item comes under a fixed wiring test as far as i am concerned

Have a look at the various adapters that can be purchased for said adapters. The equipment begin fed by a lot of those adapters will may be far from portable.

Not saying its not portable how do you test a cooker one ring at a time on a pat tester that uses a 13a socket as its input just seems mad to me

Reply to pat testing a storage heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock