Discuss pat testing a storage heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not saying its not portable how do you test a cooker one ring at a time on a pat tester that uses a 13a socket as its input just seems mad to me

When they wrote the regs fixed wiring came under I&T with all appliances coming under ISI&TEE (what people call PAT) fixed appliances were always there but were to put it mildly ignored because PAT was the buzzword but now FA are not getting ignored and as the lecturer explained to me it has opened a big can of worms with regards who can test them because the colleges will not authorise dedicated PAT testers to do this as they say there is no grey area you have to be a qualified electrician and this then bumps on to what the Schemies are up to plus the insurance companies who initially drove this in the first place add that to the HSE executive commissioning a report on the industry and the outcome may be that ISI&TEE will have to be relaunched to eradicate the PAT myth ie portable equipment only. It does not help as there is no legal obligation to get electrical equipment tested and you have a mess

Just to add you can test FAs with a Kewtech test plug with test leads
- - - Updated - - -

Again I maybe wrong here, but I thought the Earth leakage test which is associated with electric strength test was a manufacturing test and is not needed in a normal PAT testing regime
thats dielectric strength testing Malc...or `flash` testing and yes...this is normally carried out at the manufacturing stage...or after repairs have been carried out..its done at 1.5KV for class 1s...and 3KV for class 2s.....your run/load/earth leakage tests are/can be carried out as an addition to the mandatory `dead` tests....

Portable appliance testing is for portable items of equipment not cookers and storage heaters the clue is in the portable bit

Portable Appliance Testing is a misnomer.

Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment includes both portable appliances and fixed wired (connected by a flex outlet) appliances. These all have the same tests and are fully described in the IEE book. If anyone rents out a property, both types of appliances should eb tested before the property is rented. The landlord is responsible.

Sorry guys not getting this a pat tester has a built in socket to plug the piece of kit onto ?

Any other item comes under a fixed wiring test as far as i am concerned

Fixed wiring tests are for installations starting at the consumer unit and ending in sockets, flex outlets, switches and cooker outlets.

Ignore the "PAT testing" bit!!!! This is a misnomer.

Read the Code of Practice for Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment. This states very clearly that testing needs to be done not only on electrical equipment connected by plug and socket but also on appliances connected by a flexible wire to a flex outlet.

PAT Testing is just a part of it. Some PAT testers are good enough to be able to record results of hard wired appliances and are well worth it.

Reply to pat testing a storage heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock