Discuss PAT testing Advice - Dirty Appliances in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

messica

Hi there

I've recently started doing more and more PAT testing jobs and I'd like to know if anyone else has any advice on the following.

I've come across some seriously dirty plugs/appliances. Is there any way we can justify failing these things, if so, on what grounds? For example, I've had plugs covered in grease and plugs caked in dust. I'd love to be able to say, "this is a hazard because ...." but I'm not sure how to say it.

Many thanks

spray 'em with flash, then fail 'em on IR.

Hi there

I've recently started doing more and more PAT testing jobs and I'd like to know if anyone else has any advice on the following.

I've come across some seriously dirty plugs/appliances. Is there any way we can justify failing these things, if so, on what grounds? For example, I've had plugs covered in grease and plugs caked in dust. I'd love to be able to say, "this is a hazard because ...." but I'm not sure how to say it.

Many thanks
caus you cant...

dont forget that pat testing is just condition reporting...for appliances....its an `in service` testing you are carrying out....

and as such you can only concern yourself with whether...or not the item in question is suitable/good for continued service....I..E. is it electrically sound?..are barriers & enclosures in place?..is the appliance properly earthed if it requires it (class 1)...and so on...

you will find plenty of grease, dirt and general muckyness on your travels around folk`s property/s....i ignore it...and just concentrate on the job in hand....

but your not there to clean up other folk`s shyte....and i know i wont..

if they want that...then they can either go get on hands n knees with a cloth....or if they are too bone idle (most mucky swines are)...then they go get a cleaner in..

either way...i dont get involved...
No but when you get said shyte all over your hands then these will get it off!

just take your marigolds to save getting your lily whites unclean.

I'm personally not worried about getting my hands dirty. I just don't like to see electrical appliances in such a bad state. As for carrying a rag and cleaning up myself, I guess I could do that but why should I? I'm used to doing some sort of electrical work and taking pride in the way it looks but I have to leave these really dirty appliances and I just don't like putting a pass sticker on it.

Like someone above said, perhaps I should just concentrate on ticking all the safety boxes and not worrying about how it looks.

I guess all I was looking for was advice on how to tell the customer politely to look after their stuff.....but may'be its not necessary???

I'm personally not worried about getting my hands dirty. I just don't like to see electrical appliances in such a bad state. As for carrying a rag and cleaning up myself, I guess I could do that but why should I? I'm used to doing some sort of electrical work and taking pride in the way it looks but I have to leave these really dirty appliances and I just don't like putting a pass sticker on it.

Like someone above said, perhaps I should just concentrate on ticking all the safety boxes and not worrying about how it looks.

I guess all I was looking for was advice on how to tell the customer politely to look after their stuff.....but may'be its not necessary???
Hand them the grubby test sheets and when they query it explain its because they're a bunch of filthy pigs and need to clean their appliances

You could put something like this:
The level of contamination on the plugs may lead to contaminated electrical connections, excessive wear on the contacts, high resitance joints and the risk of fire; this is particularly significant with the presence of oils and greases.

But only if it is really bad.

If I can jump in on thread. Several requests lately for PAT in addition to other works.
As I don't do, I've lost few jobs.
I'm thinking of buying a unit so advice is welcome.
Is that another fee to Elecsa?
The most units I've been asked to test is 100.

If I can jump in on thread. Several requests lately for PAT in addition to other works.
As I don't do, I've lost few jobs.
I'm thinking of buying a unit so advice is welcome.
Is that another fee to Elecsa?
The most units I've been asked to test is 100.

watch how much you spend....could be hard to get that back...

no.....and dont let the schemes/scams tell you otherwise either...

dont spend too much on a pat tester...you dont need a downloader for this amount...

You should try some of the student lets I pat. Floors that you stick too, counter tops piled with moldy plates and cups. There has been a few times when I've gone back to the letting agent and said I'm not doing it until they tidy the place up.

We have all had the sticky 'fat' feeling when working in kitchens. last week I worked a kitchen job, put my hand down the back of the cooker to pull it forward...... the whole thing was full of mould. it was like a sticking my hand into soft cheese.

The only thing that made the moment was watching the kitchen fitter wretch as I pulled my hand out and almost chucking my insides up as I did so!!!!

Reply to PAT testing Advice - Dirty Appliances in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock