Discuss Pat testing for self-employed individuals in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I hate PAT Testing. I offer it as a bolt on to existing customers but I do a little jump of joy if they bring in a standalone company to do it for them instead.

The prices that many of the PAT companies charge per item I couldn't get near to competing with anyway (60-100p an item).

Last edited:
It just makes it hard moving forward. I don’t want to miss advise anyone or exploited anyone. It’s down to the individual to chose whether they want the service carried out. But if I’m saying they should, then I’d need to be able to show them in black and white why. Most people will not spend money if they can get away with it.
Different sites have it worded slightly different. The previous post said these regulations apply to single person enterprises as well as any other business.
Then the link Posted words it different. Then the last post of the link from the HSE website says it MAY be necessary.

From @Devonchris HSE link: The complainant queried if the law had been changed for Portable Appliance Testing to be undertaken on double insulated items, such as kettles, in low risk environments such as offices.

Well...I've yet to see a Double Insulated Kettle. Not sure if many if any exist. Poor information from the HSE there.

Hello Everyone

I think the preliminary question might be better put as:

Does the Health and Safety at Work legislation apply to a self-employed person?

Answer this one as yes and you accept the need to protect yourself and those around you, your principal, duty of care.

Then you realise that making sure your tools are safe to use in your work is a responsibility you must Accept. As we know, the schemes and employers expect you to make an onsite Risk Assessment each time you arrive on a job.

Then, when you get into appliance testing, you learn that registers and logs are part of the management side and a preliminary visual check and checking your cables for nicks are part of daily practice.

Regards

Hello Everyone
Does the Health and Safety at Work legislation apply to a self-employed person?

Answer this one as yes and you accept the need to protect yourself and those around you, your principal, duty of care.

Then you realise that making sure your tools are safe to use in your work is a responsibility you must Accept. As we know, the schemes and employers expect you to make an onsite Risk Assessment each time you arrive on a job.

Then, when you get into appliance testing, you learn that registers and logs are part of the management side and
a preliminary visual check and checking your cables for nicks are part of daily practice.

Regards
and it all just leads to people making money out of others' 'common dense'...….

" Hello Pirate, I've got a new tenant coming in next week. Can you come and do the PAT testing (sic)"

"Yes, of course...what have you got?"

"Oh, just a kettle, microwave, toaster, oven and hob...and maybe 6 table lamps, stuff like that".

"Why do you want me to come and test them?"

"Because I want to be able to demonstrate that I have at least tried to make sure they are safe for the tenant to use"

"OK, fair enough. I'll need to do a full risk assessment, including PA testing of my drill in case I need to use it to make some holes in the walls"

"WHAT???"

"Can't have it blowing up and killing us both, can I?"

"Are you serious. Pirate?"

"No! I'll do it myself, and as I don't employ anyone else, I can just get on with it...but you will have to stay at a safe distance, obviously"

"Whew! I was a bit worried there! So, you will come round and test these items so that they are safe to use? That's it?"

"Yup, just like that!"

"May I ask how much it will cost?"

"Of course! You are half an hour away, you have maybe a dozen items to test, assuming no problems, maybe an hour...how about £80?. I'll do the paperwork in the evening and email you the results, but I'll sticker the passes at the time."

"How about £50?"

"Oh...what's the rent?"

" £1500/month"

"No"

In this particular instance. I’m referring to a company of one person, who works within his his own rented property within a larger building, who uses power tools to carry out repairs. Would he need to PAT Test his appliances or is he not required as he has no employees.
It's hard to answer this one with certainty. The Health and Safety at Work Act, The Using Electric Equipment Regs etc. make it clear that ALL electrical equipment used for work must be safe. That's everything from the mains supply transformer in the street outside, to the hand dryer in the loo. What is not quite so cut and dried is what needs to be done. There are guide lines from IET (4TH Ed) that say office equipment (as that's what I understand your friend uses) of Class I should be tested and inspected every 2 years. But it is only guidance. As he or she only ones a duty of care to themselves they can get away with not following the guidance. They can be sensible and do regular visual inspection and feel safe.
HOWEVER
If their electrical equipment is used in interaction with the PUBLIC that makes all the difference. Do they have visitors who make themselves a brew? A cleaner using a vacuum? A sales rep using a hand dryer?
In these cases they owe a duty of care. In these cases, they must ensure all electrical equipment is safe.
How do you do that!? You inspect. You keep a register. You test.
Hope that helps

If you are an Electrician, self employed, and you need to know if your portable tools are safe to use, then give up.
Why is that Dick please explain

In this particular instance. I’m referring to a company of one person, who works within his his own rented property within a larger building, who uses power tools to carry out repairs. Would he need to PAT Test his appliances or is he not required as he has no employees.
It's hard to answer this one with certainty. The Health and Safety at Work Act, The Using Electric Equipment Regs etc. make it clear that ALL electrical equipment used for work must be safe. That's everything from the mains supply transformer in the street outside, to the hand dryer in the loo. What is not quite so cut and dried is what needs to be done. There are guide lines from IET (4TH Ed) that say office equipment (as that's what I understand your friend uses) of Class I should be tested and inspected every 2 years. But it is only guidance. As he or she only owes a duty of care to themselves they can get away with not following the guidance. They can be sensible and do regular visual inspection and feel safe.
HOWEVER
If their electrical equipment is used in interaction with the PUBLIC that makes all the difference. Do they have visitors who make themselves a brew? A cleaner using a vacuum? A sales rep using a hand dryer?
In these cases they owe a duty of care. In these cases, they must ensure all electrical equipment is safe.
Hope that helps

and it all just leads to people making money out of others' 'common dense'...….
…...especially if they're using dimwits to do their testing.
Judging by one earlier 'dislike', we've already got one involved.:rolleyes:

From HSE 'PAT - Portable appliance testing FAQs'

'The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually)'.
They leave it quite open for them but will be ready to catch you it it goes wrong.;)

It's hard to answer this one with certainty. The Health and Safety at Work Act, The Using Electric Equipment Regs etc. make it clear that ALL electrical equipment used for work must be safe. That's everything from the mains supply transformer in the street outside, to the hand dryer in the loo. What is not quite so cut and dried is what needs to be done. There are guide lines from IET (4TH Ed) that say office equipment (as that's what I understand your friend uses) of Class I should be tested and inspected every 2 years. But it is only guidance. As he or she only owes a duty of care to themselves they can get away with not following the guidance. They can be sensible and do regular visual inspection and feel safe.
HOWEVER
Hope that helps
Thought so

getting the equipment inspected and tested in a timely manor is a common sense measure (preferably by someone other than yourself) especially if your equipment is insured
this reason being my equipment is insured and even though i can inspect and repair equipment many insurance companies will not accept a self inspection.

" Hello Pirate, I've got a new tenant coming in next week. Can you come and do the PAT testing (sic)"

"Yes, of course...what have you got?"

"Oh, just a kettle, microwave, toaster, oven and hob...and maybe 6 table lamps, stuff like that".

"Why do you want me to come and test them?"

"Because I want to be able to demonstrate that I have at least tried to make sure they are safe for the tenant to use"

"OK, fair enough. I'll need to do a full risk assessment, including PA testing of my drill in case I need to use it to make some holes in the walls"

"WHAT???"

"Can't have it blowing up and killing us both, can I?"

"Are you serious. Pirate?"

"No! I'll do it myself, and as I don't employ anyone else, I can just get on with it...but you will have to stay at a safe distance, obviously"

"Whew! I was a bit worried there! So, you will come round and test these items so that they are safe to use? That's it?"

"Yup, just like that!"

"May I ask how much it will cost?"

"Of course! You are half an hour away, you have maybe a dozen items to test, assuming no problems, maybe an hour...how about £80?. I'll do the paperwork in the evening and email you the results, but I'll sticker the passes at the time."

"How about £50?"

"Oh...what's the rent?"

" £1500/month"

"No"
I’ll do it for £50 so how about I can rent the property for £1000/month?

Reply to Pat testing for self-employed individuals in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock