Discuss pat testing or a sticker exercise in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
i hold my 2377 so i understand how your ment to test ie remove plug cover to check connections and fuse size so can someone please tell me how 4 guys can pat test 2000 items in one day all seems a con to me the customer is happy cos all the items have a sticker on and if anyone gets a belt of an appliance the company who tested it just say well it was allright when we tested it 66p per item

i hold my 2377 so i understand how your ment to test ie remove plug cover to check connections and fuse size so can someone please tell me how 4 guys can pat test 2000 items in one day all seems a con to me the customer is happy cos all the items have a sticker on and if anyone gets a belt of an appliance the company who tested it just say well it was allright when we tested it 66p per item
Sounds like a call to the Guiness wold records would be in order here!

Me thinks thats why HSE have commissioned a review because as they put it in some environments there is no need to PAT test every year ok thats the official line but in my view they can no longer keep ignoring as you say 500 items a day getting PAT tested as I have said before if you lay 300 items next to each other and spend 5 minutes logging ,testing checking out well thats 1500 minutes or 25 hours so it is an open secret that PAT is just one big con and the goverment are saying its another expense that business does not need and that not including the fixed appliance debacle so PAT or as it is now known II&TEE is due for a relaunch and thats how they are going to play it plus it gives the Schemies a chance to put their tuppance worth in and rehash everything so that mugs like us sorry that should be customers will have to buy a new COP and be advised that you will need to come back and get a refreshment course and funny enough they can supply that as well.

After that me thinks the BGB will have to be reviewed again and so on

your right archy its a visual only its got to be i havnt even printed the info in the tester and im out of pocket with 66p per test its funny they allways do these out of hours aswell its bomb proof when we worked in ici offices years ok they wanted a test sheet for every item these blaggers just give you one sheet for all 4000 items nuts lol

If each person works an 8 hour day without breaks each test would have average approximately 57 seconds to achieve that ... so it's clearly a mass sticker only exercise!

Last edited by a moderator:
so how are they getting away with it when it first came out years ago there was a company called martindales charging £5 per test and now some blaggers are charging as little as 50p per test

Because as usual the sales guys took control and the Schemies sat back and let it happen because they were getting their cut ie registration courses documentation and now HSE has investigated PAT testing that gets done for them and have basically said well we dont think we need this done this often and certain bits of equiment dont need done at all or in other words change for the sake of change that keeps everybody in a job but at the same time nobody will put there hand up to say we let this happen so these companies are no longer pricing for a test they are priceing to see how fast they can put the sticker on.

I spent £750 getting tooled up for PAT only because people were saying well if you cant do PAT as well as the jobs I want dont bother so here is hoping a bit common sense comes to mind or why dont we wait for a court case to throw this up (I dont think)

Last edited by a moderator:
The main reason for getting II&TEE done is 'health & safety', which people don't really care about. If bosses can get the box ticked cheaper they'll go for that option and worry about replacing equipment when it doesn't work any more.
It seems to have gone from having an electrician checking the fuse, flex, wiring, suitability of environment, then running a series of electrical tests as an installation would be tested
to
some guy on minimum wage with minimal training sticks a sticker on any easily accessible appliance (remember the P is for Portable) and writes it down.
When Labour were in power they promoted this PAT testing with the idea that it creates jobs and gets people off the dole, but in reality it just creates unnecessary 'busywork' and an expense which otherwise productive companies can do without.

There was rather a long thread entitled 'The Great PAT Testing Scam' which may be worth looking up.

... I spent £750 getting tooled up for PAT only because people were saying well if you cant do PAT as well as the jobs I want dont bother so here is hoping a bit common sense comes to mind or why dont we wait for a court case to throw this up (I dont think)

You're not alone in that mate most of us only tooled-up and do PAT for that reason ... I've yet to meet a Spark who enjoys portable appliance testing ... It's an utter chore, but if I'm going to do it, then I do to best of my ability ... usually as means to an end of picking up other work, so I pick my customers carefully so as to ovoid the maximum work for minimum cost types.

That stinks! It's a physical impossibility to carry those tests out properly in that time!

Well my pennies worth. Been doing PAT for over 20 years. In the early days it was a very very necessary annual event. My clients gave me quite a lot of rope and i helped clean up all the bad practices going on.
Specifically , employees bringing in stuff from home like portable heaters, radios, coffee machines, these were always brought in as they "worked" but sometimes were in a bit of a state.
I spent more time negotiating the release of said items so i could destroy them, often i would physically take them away with me to ensure they could not be used again. Head Office supported me fully and i never had an issue (except once) where my negotiations failed, the employee would not give up his broken heater. I ended up going to his boss and getting a promise it would be replaced by the company..... next years it was still there..... sigh.
Over time, with help from HSE and other HSE consultants the practice of bringing in stuff has largely stopped dead as it is in the company handbook of No Nos.
Nowadays PAT is boring, i may get one fail in 500. Most of the stuff is less than 2 years old as stuff is so cheap , when it fails it is binned , no question.

I tried to implement the risk based approach with no end date on the sticker but all my clients did not like it and i have continued to buy the labels which allow an end date and will still use them as it easier for the clients to manage and demonstrate equipment is still "OK"

I cannot test as fast as the pro's cos just getting down and under the desks and back out again takes longer than the testing bit i have a helper now who records and stickers above the desk while i am below the desk but TBH my days are numbered .....

I think the way forward is to assign the task now to an employee, along with fire alarm tests and emergency lighting for office type environments.

was told on 2377 anymore than 10-12 items an hour you're not thorough enough. i think that is a bit harsh tbh. i don't price per item i price day rate, if they not happy its fine someone else will be

You can't compete with fraud.

It would take four guys a day just to locate the objects.

Its the Grenfell House mentally, cut costs, turn blind eyes, feign ignorance and 99.9999% of the time nothing happens.

Reply to pat testing or a sticker exercise in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock