Discuss Pat testing plug fuses in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sham

-
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to PAT testing by myself as I just used to do it with an ex employer. We always changed the fuses of the plugs if they were overrated, mainly most had 13A fuses. Now I work for my-self I have carried out pat testing on new Items for a landlord, whether new items need pat testing is another matter as I was being paid to do it. I have come across plug fuses that Are 13A and the Appliances have rated Amp 3, 5, and 10 Amps. I would assume that the manufacturers know what they are doing as it is law. My only conclusion is that the 13 Amps protect the lead and therefore the appliance has its own built in fuse. So, I left the 13A in the plug in the brand-new items and changes the fuses in the older items. Is this correct or do just change the fuses of brand-new items.

Follow the makers instructions. I have never changed a fuse when PAT testing myself.

Follow the makers instructions. I have never changed a fuse when PAT testing myself.
I would have to say the Mate how can you pass an appliance with the wrong size fuse in the plug? One of the first visual tests.

Last edited:
Incorrect size fuse for the cable rating/appliance rating is a fail. Fail the kit and quote for corrective action.

Incorrect size fuse for the cable rating/appliance rating is a fail. Fail the kit and quote for corrective action.
Change the fuse or take the appliance out of service, you could of course cut the plug off!!!! Wrong size fuse for the appliance equals a fail.

But how are the Manufacturers getting away with it.
They may not be getting away with anything, all the appliances I have bought lately, not that many, have had the correct fuse in the plug.

They may not be getting away with anything, all the appliances I have bought lately, not that many, have had the correct fuse in the plug.
If you are into PATesting then the customer MUST be made aware of the need to change fuses and be charged accordingly, Crikey how much does a fuse cost, you are the one quantifying the safety of the appliance, part of the service in my book.

My practice is to replace the fuse if it is the wrong rating. That way, you leave the appliance safe, and thus can give it a Pass. I may make a charge, very small, for the extra work, but very seldom really. Of course, I have dozens of 13A fuses in my toolbag, always running out of 3A ones...
Some foreign crap has 13A fuses which should be 3A...if it's clear from the FVI that the origin is dodgy, it usually also manifests itself by undersized conductors too, and fuses that don't look right. In those cases it's a clear Fail. The worst culprits are those counterfeit extension leads that we all know and hate!

My practice is to replace the fuse if it is the wrong rating. That way, you leave the appliance safe, and thus can give it a Pass. I may make a charge, very small, for the extra work, but very seldom really. Of course, I have dozens of 13A fuses in my toolbag, always running out of 3A ones...
Some foreign crap has 13A fuses which should be 3A...if it's clear from the FVI that the origin is dodgy, it usually also manifests itself by undersized conductors too, and fuses that don't look right. In those cases it's a clear Fail. The worst culprits are those counterfeit extension leads that we all know and hate!
Since getting one of these I've failed quite a few cheap extension leads that managers thought would save them a few quid.

Plug checker - http://electricalsafetyfirst.instantcart.com/p/Plug-Checker_7.html

Pat testing plug fuses plug-checker-1001-7-1 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
IIRC the COP only regcognises 3 and 13A for some reason. So when I did the PATs anything over 3A got a 13A fitted.

It may have changed.

Aye, Strima, seems lots of "buyers" for companies just get shed=loads of cheap imports, when a reasonable quality extension lead is not that dear. The kettle leads though, that's a good point...I do carry 10A fuses, but not used many.
I tend to let a landlord agree to take, say, a table lamp out of service, as he can easily put it back again if I Fail it, but I am brutal on the crap extension leads...if they have a partially sleeved earth pin or any of the myriad other faults, the cord gets cut off and I take the thing away and bin it. Never had a complaint yet, once the safety aspects are explained.

Aye, Strima, seems lots of "buyers" for companies just get shed=loads of cheap imports, when a reasonable quality extension lead is not that dear. The kettle leads though, that's a good point...I do carry 10A fuses, but not used many.
I tend to let a landlord agree to take, say, a table lamp out of service, as he can easily put it back again if I Fail it, but I am brutal on the crap extension leads...if they have a partially sleeved earth pin or any of the myriad other faults, the cord gets cut off and I take the thing away and bin it. Never had a complaint yet, once the safety aspects are explained.

LeeH I agree it's just 3A and 13A in contemplation, but there are a few appliances that have 5A in them, usually electric drills of lower power, say 750W, and I suppose the surge as these start up, or meet resistance while drilling makes 5A sensible?

LeeH I agree it's just 3A and 13A in contemplation, but there are a few appliances that have 5A in them, usually electric drills of lower power, say 750W, and I suppose the surge as these start up, or meet resistance while drilling makes 5A sensible?

750w is over 3A so it should have a 13A IMO.

But yes, as you say high inrush appliances may be problematic.

Reply to Pat testing plug fuses in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock