Discuss PAT Testing scope in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Asked 4 companies if they had a PAT Tester, or if they needed one.

1st company didn’t really know what a PAT Tester was, but is considering starting using one.
2nd company said I don’t have any employees so I don’t need to PAT Test.
3rd company said we are covered, we take the tools for repair when they break, and the company repairing them pat Test them.
4th company said they don’t know what it is and they’ll just play dumb, or buy a roll of stickers.

That’s because questions I’ve asked have triggered some negativity. I get the impression I should know it already, and not ask it. I thought that was the purpose of a Forum.
I put it as a statement rather than point out what I’m not sure about.
Self employed individuals. No staff. Are they expected to have PAT Testing?
Having you apliances PAT Tested after repair only. I’m pretty sure this isn’t right. They should be PAT Tested at the recommended Frequencies.

Martin, I understand your frustration - clearly this is something you are passionate about, as you have started/are starting a business doing ISITEE. However if you are cold calling, don't get disheartened after phoning four targets and getting four rejections. Think yourself lucky the people you spoke to actually engaged in conversation, even though they told you what you didn't want to hear. If you phone 40 targets and get one warm lead (no pun intended) then you've done well. Expect many of the 39 rejections not to engage with you at all and some to be downright rude.
The truth is, all four of the scenarios you have given could have been followed up with an email for them to look at their leisure, and you may have got something from them. They didn't exactly tell you to go away.

Asked 4 companies if they had a PAT Tester, or if they needed one.

1st company didn’t really know what a PAT Tester was, but is considering starting using one.
2nd company said I don’t have any employees so I don’t need to PAT Test.
3rd company said we are covered, we take the tools for repair when they break, and the company repairing them pat Test them.
4th company said they don’t know what it is and they’ll just play dumb, or buy a roll of stickers.
Martin, it sounds like you are interested in starting up a PAT company so I recommend reading “Starting Up and Running a PAT Testing business “ by Seggy T Segaran, hard copy or Kindle book. Starting and Running a PAT Testing Business (English Edition) - http://amzn.eu/fhTjXct

That’s because questions I’ve asked have triggered some negativity. I get the impression I should know it already, and not ask it. I thought that was the purpose of a Forum.
I put it as a statement rather than point out what I’m not sure about.
Self employed individuals. No staff. Are they expected to have PAT Testing?
Having you apliances PAT Tested after repair only. I’m pretty sure this isn’t right. They should be PAT Tested at the recommended Frequencies.
ISITEE not PatTesting After all these posts and still people don't get it

think i'm going away to"megger" my goolies. :(:(:(

had that once, but i was pi$$ed at the time.

Reply to PAT Testing scope in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock