Discuss PAT testing servers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I have a question about servers , i had a client who want their server testing , i told them i would need to power down the server to test , but they then said that last time it was done by another firm it was visual and they didnt turn anything off , but you still need to unplug to do a formal visual check correct?

I think they had a sticker jockey last time

A lot want them visually checked without being disturbed (meaning you can't even really see what's plugged in to what). So it's generally completely pointless (unless there's obvious damage to the case or similar to report).

I'd be wary of declaring it safe with such restrictions as you cannot possibly stand over it.

We get this a lot and all you can do is a visual. Crowded comms rooms can be a mine field, cables everywhere so is easy to tread on cables and accidentally pull a plug out. You could do earth continuity tests from socket points but with multiple parallel paths it doesn't prove much. Provided it is clear between you and the client these are visuals only then carry on.

Most servers are installed in racks and don't get moved, so are 'low risk' items for damage. They are more 'fixed equipment' than a portable appliance. As you know, the visual will pick up most faults anyway, so I don't really see it as a problem. You just record on the results that only a visual was done.

Most servers are replaced before they need a full PAT test anyway. 5 years for a full PAT and maybe a visual once a year is reasonable for a server in a rack.

However if the server room is a pile of servers on the floor of a cleaners cupboard, then you may advise the client differently!

Most servers are installed in racks and don't get moved, so are 'low risk' items for damage. They are more 'fixed equipment' than a portable appliance. As you know, the visual will pick up most faults anyway, so I don't really see it as a problem. You just record on the results that only a visual was done.

Most servers are replaced before they need a full PAT test anyway. 5 years for a full PAT and maybe a visual once a year is reasonable for a server in a rack.

However if the server room is a pile of servers on the floor of a cleaners cupboard, then you may advise the client differently!
Reading the ISITEE Code of Practice may help you

A lot want them visually checked without being disturbed (meaning you can't even really see what's plugged in to what). So it's generally completely pointless (unless there's obvious damage to the case or similar to report).

I'd be wary of declaring it safe with such restrictions as you cannot possibly stand over it.
"Visual inspection only at clients request, no signs of damage found"

I don't assign a pass or fail just the above statement.

As you know, the visual will pick up most faults anyway
It's true that inspection will pick up many issues that testing won't, but that's not so true when you can't actually unplug the appliance to inspect the plug top etc. or examine the leads for damage for fear of losing power to the appliance.

It's not really an inspection as well as not being testing. It is extremely limited, and as I pointed out is only liable to find things like obvious damage to the casing which the users should be able to notice themselves.

It might be all that you can practically do within the confines of what is agreed, but its usefulness is questionable.

Reply to PAT testing servers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net