Discuss PAT testing without unplugging anything? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I was trained as a PAT tester for a charity shop - for testing donated items. They use an external contractor for testing items used on the premises - till, PC, steamer, vacuum cleaner etc.
Said contractor came on a day when I wasn’t there. According to my colleague, they didn’t unplug any devices, just plugged in a laptop (or tablet, she wasn’t sure), called up something on the screen, declared everything passed and left (“it’s all on the computer, love”) and went.

Is there some new development in PAT technology I haven’t been told about that can scan everything on the ring main and even check Earth continuity without touching anything, or are we being scammed? (The company that trained me said they had once been suspicious of the speed of one tester, so installed a covert camera and observed that he merely copied the ID numbers onto a new set of labels and stuck these over the old ones).

Enquiring minds would like to know.

a) What's the testing interval ? (next test due)
(May alternate thoroughness -but that will be in a "policy" doc somewhere - !)
Nice paperwork.
b)(Out of time for proper job -re visit later - when not in way -Can hope )

c) .....Unplugging delicate electronic things that spend most of the time turned on.....Scary times until re-power OK. ( Needs danger money )

Last edited:
I was trained as a PAT tester for a charity shop - for testing donated items. They use an external contractor for testing items used on the premises - till, PC, steamer, vacuum cleaner etc.
Said contractor came on a day when I wasn’t there. According to my colleague, they didn’t unplug any devices, just plugged in a laptop (or tablet, she wasn’t sure), called up something on the screen, declared everything passed and left (“it’s all on the computer, love”) and went.

Is there some new development in PAT technology I haven’t been told about that can scan everything on the ring main and even check Earth continuity without touching anything, or are we being scammed? (The company that trained me said they had once been suspicious of the speed of one tester, so installed a covert camera and observed that he merely copied the ID numbers onto a new set of labels and stuck these over the old ones).

Enquiring minds would like to know.
Probably a drive by merchant

This is a clear case of "making it up" - the witness report suggests that nothing has been tested or inspected as nothing has been unplugged. Unfortunately it does happen. Recommend getting the business manager to contact said PAT company to explain nothing has been tested and get the engineer back out, then watch him to make sure he unplugs everything and correctly inspects and tests it all.

What do you actually have to confirm, check with PAT testing, is there some sort of checklist? I know what it is just not what it entails?

This needs reporting back to whoever ordered the work and whoever performed it. I say 'work' in the loosest possible form.

Even if it is visual only (which is fine for some things, but I would say at least the hoover should be tested) then as mentioned above, how can you do a visual of plug condition/fuse type, etc. without unplugging?

They are ripping people off and in a dangerous way.

What do you actually have to confirm, check with PAT testing, is there some sort of checklist? I know what it is just not what it entails?
respectfully suggest you get hold of a copy of the CoP for ISITEE

Pete, you ever wonder how many people read, much less keep to Regs, Standards and Codes of Practice after doing a related course or exam? Pleased to see H intends to.
In todays boil in the bag ways, YES I often wonder mate, to the point of despair.

Reply to PAT testing without unplugging anything? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock