Discuss pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wattsup

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Could be the wrong forum, anyhow
I've been given a nice gift, a Seaward Europa Plus, don't know nothing about them so looked on ebay, it seems they are £757 new!
This one ain't new but in very good condition.

So I got to thinking, do you have to be 'trained' to do pat testing, legally I mean. Can't an already trained electrician just start pat testing, without paying yet another training fee?
Let's face it, it is not rocket science (no offence to pat testers)
I have turned a few jobs down over the years, but I now have the test equipment I may as well use it. Besides winters on its way -;)

S

spark-doctor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Once again this comes down to competency. Yes a electrician could argue that he is competent to carry out PAT testing and he would not be wrong but if you go on a 2377 course you do get taught a few tricks that i was not taught during my normal electrical training.

At the very least, get a copy of the IEE code of practice and have a good read.

S

Shakey

I agree, this is the same as the 2391/PIR situation.

I was PAT testing for 15-20 years before the 2377 came out. As long as you can interpret the code of practice, decide on FVI/CIT's etc, then like you say, its not rocket science. A lot of stuff doesnt get actually tested anyway!

J

jonboy1

go on the course, its not that expensive. Can make back the cost on your first string of tests. Then repeat every year. Steady but mind numbingly boring work!

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom