Discuss pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

brs73

-
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

whats the crack with pat testing
i know you can train a monkey to do it(bit like plumbing i suppose)
is it worth doing
good earner?pain in the ****?
what d'ya reckon??

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Adam W

It's worth being able to do in case you haven't got any other work on, or so you can offer clients a wider range of services and prevent someone else poaching them, but to say it's boring and repetitive is an understatement; any more than a couple of hours of it and I start to lose the will to live.
I can't believe there are people who do it full time!

brs73

-
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i did speak to somebody who had done it for five years!!
he wasn't a spark ,think he used to sell suits.
i remember doing a few when i was an apprentice(1992 ish) do you need an actual qualification and can you just use your megger(1552)???

A

Adam W

I did the qualification (2377-200) but I found it very basic from a spark's point of view.
You CAN do it with a megger (or any other approved tester) but it's easier with a dedicated tester - plug it in, clip the earth lead on, then push the buttons.

While it's true that any muppet can do pat testing, only a spark should test fixed equipment such as hand driers, a/c units, cookers etc, a spark would have a better understanding of how and why things work, and a spark would be better at fixing minor problems such as refitting plugtops.

brs73

-
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
cheers novus
how much was the course and the tester
roughly how much do people charge
a bit curious how much my initial outlay would be
cheers

A

Adam W

I paid £270 for the course. Testers are quite expensive - prices are from about £800+ although the company I work for acquired one for a lot less than that. Ebay?

M

maddfridge

whats the crack with pat testing
i know you can train a monkey to do it(bit like plumbing i suppose)
is it worth doing
good earner?pain in the ****?
what d'ya reckon??

hi there

pat testing is a therapeutic way of going insane:rolleyes::D done for a few months in offices got sore knees stabbed by staple pens it is amazing what is stored under office desks

will start a new thread on that one

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom