Discuss PATting touch lights in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

One of my jobs is to PAT electrical goods for a local charity. Recently we have
been given some touch lights. On all of these, the switch interrupts Neutral
only and Live is on all the time. Is this normal or should I condemn these lights?
Thank you, Mark

TL;DR
Touch lights: switch interrupts neutral only.

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
One of my jobs is to PAT electrical goods for a local charity. Recently we have
been given some touch lights. On all of these, the switch interrupts Neutral
only and Live is on all the time. Is this normal or should I condemn these lights?
Thank you, Mark
Us this by design, or has the lamp been connected correctly, L/N reversed?

Reaction score
Us this by design, or has the lamp been connected correctly, L/N reversed?

I have re-checked. Polarity is correct at plug. Resistance from plug pin -- lamp socket pin:
live < 1 ohm, neutral > 2 MO. When plugged in with no bulb, the light pin is live.

brianmoooore

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is this a necessary part of the way these things work? Without an electrical field around them when they are off, how would they detect that you want to switch them on?

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have re-checked. Polarity is correct at plug. Resistance from plug pin -- lamp socket pin:
live < 1 ohm, neutral > 2 MO. When plugged in with no bulb, the light pin is live.
Is it correct polarity at the socket outlet though?

brianmoooore

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The apparent reversed polarity has been shown up by the PAT tester, not by detecting a voltage on the lampholder when it's switched off.
The lamp would argumentably be safer if plugged into a socket was incorrectly wired.

Reaction score
My Ikea 3 step does have neutral to lamp holder continuity but happily works with polarity reversed . The 220V activate potential must be capacitivly derived .
..But Wired for neutral continuity , the activation surface shows Live to a volt stick , and does give a tingle !
(this is tech at its least clever)

Reaction score
Is this a necessary part of the way these things work? Without an electrical field around them when they are off, how would they detect that you want to switch them on?
Thank you for your reply. What I think should happen is: the base of the light should be energised at low voltage or via a large
resistor. When you touch it, a sub-lethal (I hope) current flows which the switch detects. (I am not going to try with wet hands.)
But I dont think the light pin should be live with < 1 ohm between it & the plug pin.

Reply to PATting touch lights in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net