Discuss Pattress sticks out from plaster work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

orangegoblin

Hi Forum

I have rewired my house and then had a plasterer come in and skim the rooms. He hasn't plastered level and in some cases a few millimeters of the pattress sticks out of the plaster. As a consequence, there is a gap around the switches and they are not flush to the wall.

Do you know of any raised finger plates or something similar that can cover this up. I have already had a go at the plasterer, but i cannot have re-skim done. I am happy to use finger plates, but i have struggled to find any raised plates.

Can anyone recommend any?

Thanks in advance...

If you've used 35mm boxes you could change them to 25mm

If you've used 25mm boxes you're in trouble.

Have to admit id do the same ! the plasterer should do the job right in the first place ! can you not get them to rectify there faulty skimming ?

Change the boxes to plaster depth type, will be ok unless you have dimmer switches.
Being an electrician I'm sure you have thought of that already.

Last edited:
Sounds like you prolly didn't sink your boxes quite deep enough, or the plasterer is a total redneck (which isn't unheard of.) Taking the boxes out may bring some wall out with it so more making good. You must be able to buy raised plates but cant honestly say I've ever tried. It'll look cack too

cut boxes out with a fein multitool. no mess or replastering.

I can remember years ago in my aunt and uncle's house they had these clear plastic surrounds around their light switches. you had to loosen the switch off then slot these things around them. They were probably a couple of mm thick but looked bloody awful. They're more than likely still available and may be the solution to your problem if you don't fancy chopping your boxes in properly

how bout a patress extension collar sometime known as a skeleton box? your switches would look like surface mount but you wouldnt have a gap !!

I'v used the small angle gringer or the fein tool to remove edges quite successfully in the past. If their sticking out that much though, then maybe that'll be no good.

Rich

sounds more like they worn't chopped in far enough in first place?

Still doesnt alter the fact the plasterer should have been able to rectify it if he was skimming ! i know i could have ! i've done a plastering course and im no plasterer and i work with a plasterer who would not leave it as that job was left as the op said it wasn't plastered level. just a thought !

As its a switch box in question, the plasterer will always be governed by the door frame.I always check that the box does not stand proud of the door frame.Sounds like its you not the plasterer at fault

Without jumping too far into this did you install the boxs ? if so are you a spark ? if so and judging by you 1st post with regard to the plasterer and you stating he didnt plaster level are you saying the boxs were not installed deep enough or the plasterer hasn't done a good job ? not that it makes any diff whos at fault if your left with that problem as said you could use 25mm boxs or resink.
good luck anyway !

Reply to Pattress sticks out from plaster work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net