Discuss Pay as you go meter change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
A customer has a pay as you go ec7 meter, the need for ec7 is no longer but they want to keep the pay as you go (wont be talked onto a DD) am i right in thinking they dont need to change the meter just inform there energy supplier that they want to go on standard tariff?

Update.
Customer phone supplier and the supplier will not change to a payg standard meter. Seems harsh but they push big on smart meters now. I can see this unit eventually giving up the ghost and then the customer will be fitted with a smart meter imo.

Thanks for input

All that needs to be done is to change the 17 hour tariff and the 7 hour tariff to the 24 hour tariff, but sadly, I know from personal experience that this is beyond the wit of most suppliers.

When I was working for SSE uptill 2020, was changing tariffs on PPM was the easiest job, put customers key in the hand held terminal, punch in the meter SN change tariff code job done.
As for smart meters this can be done remotely.
The only reason I can see for refusal if on a fixed term tariff then understandably it cant be changed till the term ends.

I saw a eco 7 timeswitch last week that had been opened and set to always on! then sealed back up with non DNO crimped seals.
From the old eco7 board was running electric shower, downstairs sockets, immersion tank and the oven. the storage heaters no longer used. With no smart meters I wonder how long they will get away with it? I asked them about it and said its not been touched since they had some work done on kitchen in the 1990s!! The people who fitted kitchen did some wiring. the couple are both in their mid to late 70s.
Was only there to survey for a few outdoor floodlights in the garden.

Never seen one set to 'always on', but there are loads around where the time of day has been 'adjusted' to give the cheap rate period at a more useful time of day.
There are several models of timeswitch where this can be done with a hooked piece of wire, and without removing any seals.

Reply to Pay as you go meter change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net