Discuss Pay rates for electricians in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I’ve been self employed 5 years now, and not been employed as an electrician for 10 years before that, so out of the loop concerning rates of pay.
Our local housing association advertised on the radio for tradespersons, and out of interest, I had a look.
They are offering £24,781 per annum… is that about right?

£24,000 pa would have to be part time I reckon

The last firm I worked cards in , was 2008 and that was £32,000 pa , brand new ford transit van provided , brand new MFT provided , 5 weeks holiday etc etc. all I had to use was my own hand tools

I’ve been self employed 5 years now, and not been employed as an electrician for 10 years before that, so out of the loop concerning rates of pay.
Our local housing association advertised on the radio for tradespersons, and out of interest, I had a look.
There is a Housing Association around here advertising for sparks at 36K per year - 2k more than the plumbers which has got a few laughs....

That’s what I was thinking….

Normal working week round here is 37.5 hours, but I think this particular post expects you to be on call some weeks for emergencies.

The SJIB lists 2 hourly rates… a shop rate and a travel rate with a couple of pounds difference per hour.

Looking at Gavins example, maybe it’s a typing mistake and they mean 34k

Most of the housing association's around this way pay about £30,000 per annum, the figure you quoted may be a starting point on their pay scale ? To be fair most of the people I know that work for housing associations, local authority, etc are either newly qualified or older guys who are looking for a steady income for the last few years of their working life (although having said that, The way things are going none of us will be retiring soon)

Most of the housing association's around this way pay about £30,000 per annum, the figure you quoted may be a starting point on their pay scale ? To be fair most of the people I know that work for housing associations, local authority, etc are either newly qualified or older guys who are looking for a steady income for the last few years of their working life (although having said that, The way things are going none of us will be retiring soon)

Early retirement will be exclusive to the rich , famous and celebrity (sparks)

The rest of us will continue to pull wires , and to be honest the thought of doing nothing would bore me

Housing associations are not well known for paying premium, or even average, rates. And as such they don't attract top end, or even average, sparks generally.
I wouldn't get out of my bed for £12.88 an hour. JIB Approved rate is £17.70 an hour, JIB Spark rate is £16.32.

Reply to Pay rates for electricians in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net