Discuss Payment for a job. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just finished a job in an Indian Restaurant. The owner wanted to pay me in free meals, I said free takeaways won't pay of the overdraft. He thought for a while and then offered me peanuts. Well somethings better than nothing, so I accepted. At least it should keep the monkeys in the Bank happy for a while.

Just finished a job in an Indian Restaurant. The owner wanted to pay me in free meals, I said free takeaways won't pay of the overdraft. He thought for a while and then offered me peanuts. Well somethings better than nothing, so I accepted. At least it should keep the monkeys in the Bank happy for a while.
and just think how many pis fingers have been in that peanut bowl beforehand...
glad you said no..

That's one I haven't heard before. Always have a simple contract in place on all jobs bug and small. If it doesn't go your way u have it all in writing with there consent.

I did a small job years ago in an indian takeaway shop that i ordered from every weekend and got paid in free takeaways for a month
I think I actually saved more money than I would have made :0)

That's annoying, they're all the same the Asians no offence to anyone who is but they are all penny pinchers who want jobs done for nothing, that's why they're all wealthy business/cornershop people.

That's annoying, they're all the same the Asians no offence to anyone who is but they are all penny pinchers who want jobs done for nothing, that's why they're all wealthy business/cornershop people.

Yeah and the loaded white folks in big houses, they are penny pinchers too. And gypsies are all thieves etc etc....

Great to read such a massive generalisation against an entire continent! Keep up the good work, the Daily Mail would be proud of you...

Yeah and the loaded white folks in big houses, they are penny pinchers too. And gypsies are all thieves etc etc....

Great to read such a massive generalisation against an entire continent! Keep up the good work, the Daily Mail would be proud of you...

Thats a little uncalled for.

There are certain types of customers best avoided.......of all types.

The peanuts comment was tongue in cheek, the customer did try to renegotiate as we all would, but I did get what was due. I have been invited back for his next stage of improvements, so he must have been happy.

LOL "Typical Daily Mail generalisation".

I think it was a rice idea to offer the option of payment in goods. :)

The peanuts comment was tongue in cheek, the customer did try to renegotiate as we all would, but I did get what was due. I have been invited back for his next stage of improvements, so he must have been happy.

Just bear in mind that if it's the last job for you to do for him that he may not even pay you as you'll not be needed again. My advice would be your user name!

Stan, I understand what you are saying and the thought had crossed my mind. But have you ever paid for a meal in a restaurant before you eat. If push comes to shove I will get family and friends round to the place to "Eat, drink and be merry" to balance the books, taking him up on his original offer of free meals.

Thats a little uncalled for.

There are certain types of customers best avoided.......of all types.

Exactly, I agree with you! Every race, nation, culture has people like this. I am not the one who said ALL Asians!

The Daily Mail bit was a quip...nothing more.

In certain cases the old barter system can be beneficial to both parties - free takeaways aren't going to pay off the overdraft but they will put food on the table.
For it to work for you, you need to be getting their service at cost value, eg you get the same value in ingredients as you're giving in materials, you work 'for free' and his chefs cook the ingredients 'for free'.
You'd need to establish whether this was his intention or if he wanted to pay you in terms of what he's charging, eg you charge £200, he effectively gives you a £200 curry voucher, which at around £10 a pop would only give you 20 curries.
Personally I eat for around £2 per meal at home, so those 20 curries would only be saving me about £40, or in other words the deal would leave me £160 worse off.

Depends how much you like takeaway curry I suppose.

why generalise one newspaper, there others too. :teeth_smile:

My son did exactly that Indian restaurant didn't pay bill so went for a meal with loads of mates when the bill arrived it was £10 less than his invoice

gave them his invoice and said keep the change as a tip

2days later they had a problem with lights during opening hrs and called him as far as we know they are still in the dark sometimes you have to do what you have to do

Reply to Payment for a job. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock