Discuss Payment terms in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
What are your preferred payment terms?
This is really aimed at people who’re are supplying home owners, not Comercial contracts.

Is this a follow in from the 3 quotes thread?

Im on my own, So a big major job will take longer than a team... and I try not to do quotes as I’m not too experienced in that.
I normally ask for money at the end of each week. That’s just time and materials on site, even though I might have more materials in the van.

Is this a follow in from the 3 quotes thread?

Im on my own, So a big major job will take longer than a team... and I try not to do quotes as I’m not too experienced in that.
I normally ask for money at the end of each week. That’s just time and materials on site, even though I might have more materials in the van.

Yes, I thought it best not to get the original thread derailed by endless discussion about payment terms.
We all have a different approach so I thought we could get an idea of how the land lies with people in general.

Same as @Andy78, mostly depends on the size of the job......and the person I’m dealing with, some jobs I want payment at least for the materials as soon as they are on site, this is written in the quote and will stop untill it’s settled,

I ALWAYS do terms and conditions for jobs over £50

For jobs like rewires I do 33% up front at time of booking and the rest on completion of the electrical works.

Went to one on Monday this week, fold needed a cooker connected and there was a 2.5mm taken off a 6mm to a double socket, no RCD, old consumer unit with mix and match internals.

Told the guy that he needed a new consumer unit, cooker control unit and a cooker outlet.

He said just do it, I said I would email them a quote (including terms and conditions) , which I did and they accepted

After the job was done they tell me they have been to trading standards about the last guy (handyman who 'did' electrics) and are 'taking him all the way'

So glad I insisted on terms and conditions etc.

Small jobs simply paid on completion

bigger jobs I tend to get materials costs upfront and then Labour portion on completion

I have different terms depending on the size of the job and the customer. On larger jobs I take a percentage upfront then the rest on completion. Domestic customers mainly I find like to pay by card so I have a zettle for that. My regular customers I don't really have terms for as they always pay by bacs as soon as I send them an invoice. I am usually very selective about who I work for and don't advertise so only ever get jobs from other customers recommendations. This tends to weed out the problem payers for me. Oh and from this amazing forum too full of helpful people and information!
Sy

If i know them , its payment at the end unless the materials are going to a be a lot .
Big jobs , I want a none refundable deposit .THis books the Job and nothing else. I know loads of people that find out a 10 day job has been binned the day before or even on the day ! The customer must not think you will book out their work with no penalty on their part. . Payment made in steps to allow for any labourer to be paid . Final payment normally same day of completion. There is zero excuse now with online payment etc best tip I learnt ...ALWAYS make sure a customer knows exactly what a call out charge is and what it covers. I do this by text etc or email. And I want a confirmation from them before setting off .

Reply to Payment terms in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock