Discuss paypal scam alert in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
just to give all a heads up. a company calling themselves profitable play ltd. are hacking into paypal accounts and taking out sums between £30 and £50 for non-existant transactions. to be fair to paypal, after a dispute was raised, paypal have agreed to reverse the transactions.

problem is when your bank account is linked to your paypal. if paypal account is empty, then it just takes from the bank.

On a side note, I keep getting phonecalls all the time from callcentres saying that they are (A) my Bank, (B) DHL and they have a customs charge for a parcel(C) IT support......its quite funny, I said I wasn't stupid to one of them the other day and asked them to stop phoning the house and they gave me about 15 seconds worth of f's and B's then hung up....

when anyone askes me for personal information on the phone i just tell them to prove to me who they are first and when they ask what i mean i tell them i dont know them and want proof what they are telling me is true when they say they cant prove it i just tell them have a nice day good bye. Or when i ef and blind them and they tell me you do know this call is being recorded my reply is good to save me having to call again tomorrow please play this recording in the morning when you arrive at work !!!

somebody just got done out of £30,000 by a scam caller who said they were a Bank.......it seems that all they need is a few details and a couple of account details and they can just go in and take it.....I don't know how they do it, they must be using some kind of shady foreign money processing system to grab the money out just like a direct debit or something....

There's one doing the rounds just now, it's an email scam. You get one supposedly from FBI, CIA or your local plod and if you open it it drops something onto your PC that locks it up but these scammers will release it if you pay them.

an update on my OP. the company is in gibraltar. also comes up as profitable CD. you don't get an email alert from paypal, it does not appear on your paypal account. wish i had their address and a tomahawk missile.

There's one doing the rounds just now, it's an email scam. You get one supposedly from FBI, CIA or your local plod and if you open it it drops something onto your PC that locks it up but these scammers will release it if you pay them.

Thats nice of them, I will keep my debit card by the phone in case they ring..

- - - Updated - - -

an update on my OP. the company is in gibraltar. also comes up as profitable CD. you don't get an email alert from paypal, it does not appear on your paypal account. wish i had their address and a tomahawk missile.

Or an emergency call out to there head office.....

We got a call one Sasturday a few weeks back from a very nice asian sounding lady who advised me that the security of our IT network had been compromised. I managed to keep her on the phone for about half an hour before I got bored and told her to do one

I had a clearly bogus charity collector claiming to be from Cancer Research knocking on my door the other day. His ID looked like my baby boy had made it at playgroup. Sick sausage got put in a jujitsu hold until coppers arrived.

It's quite simple really not to get scammed.
If it's an email from someone you've never heard of, DELETE it.
If it's a phone call from someone you've never heard of, (unless you want to wind them up) say goodbye and hang up.
If someone is asking you for personal information that you haven't contacted first, tell them to Fock Off!

Don't engage with them!

Wifey told me a good one today,
Scammer rings up saying you've got computer problems, so she says, 'Well my husband is a police officer and works on the internet fraud squad (or something) can you call back later please?'
Phone instantly hangs up.

I got phoned again the other day from somebody saying they were from DHL with a parcel and wanting my card details.....
They keep phoning from a computer and the 1471 just says "you were called today and we do not have the number to return the call" they are very persistent as they keep phoning sometimes dozens of times a week, they will not give up even though I have spoken to them lots of times and said No....I think it must be a call centre set up with a big pile of phone numbers and they just get told to keep pestering until they manage to steal from you an then probably come back for more...

when I get the Microsoft tech team scammers,I just sound so happy that they have called and say (just a minute I will turn on my PC )the last one was on the phone for 35mins while I watched Mythe busters.

one called shopperdisc too, what they do is take £10 from your bank and when you argue aabout it they give it back, just seem to be claiming the interest..... happened 2 weeks ago to my mother, she got it back, she obviously didnt read small print somewhere... and it was on her bank/visa whuch made it easier to get back probably

Did anybody hear about the women who got done twice by the same people?

1) First receives a call from some country saying she is entitled to 30k or so, All she needs to do is give them her bank detials and they will send it too her..

Anyway she got conned of 15k or so

2) She receives a call from the president of the country she has been dealing with saying he cant believe this has happened by someone from his country and wants to return the money, If you give us your bank details i will wire it to you.. Guess what only withdrawal.

Some people have no sense

Reply to paypal scam alert in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net