• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Penny pinching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just wondered what you guys thoughts on this.
Nice job refurbishment of classrooms,rewire,new dado new light system,the original cabling a mess.
New containment,basket & tray,seems ok up to now,but to my astonishment the ceiling are staying,they are the usual suspended ceilings.
I asked the guy in charge how do I get my tray up & fixed,he looked @ me as if I was thick.
Have you ever had a refurbishment, where ceiling were left up,& just caused hassle to install,would you refuse to do it.
Oh the Mech guys are ok about it,they only have to put there pipes in once.

I cant recall a single instance of a perfectly good suspended ceiling coming down just to make the electricians life easy. You just have to work around it and price accordingly.

Just wondered what you guys thoughts on this.
Nice job refurbishment of classrooms,rewire,new dado new light system,the original cabling a mess.
New containment,basket & tray,seems ok up to now,but to my astonishment the ceiling are staying,they are the usual suspended ceilings.
I asked the guy in charge how do I get my tray up & fixed,he looked @ me as if I was thick.
Have you ever had a refurbishment, where ceiling were left up,& just caused hassle to install,would you refuse to do it.
Oh the Mech guys are ok about it,they only have to put there pipes in once.

Wouldn't the quote for the work be higher, if the suspended ceiling isn't coming down, as it will take longer??
They it's up to them to decide.

Worked above suspended ceilings plenty of times with basket and tray. It's a pain alright. Sometimes impossible if the proper ceiling is too high.

Ahh suspended ceiling refurbishments.
many moons ago when I was an apprentice , i worked For a firm who did lots of posh office refurbs, 99% of the time ceilings remained and only busted tiles got replaced.
if we busted a Ceiling tile or got grubby Hand prints on a tile the firm got a fine...

Ok, I will grin & bear it,that’s tray, pulling cables in, pulling data ,fire alarm, bringing down ceilings Swa sub main...oh the joy.
You on your todd cliffed? Another pair of hands helps a lot, pulling an SWA over a grid is especially hazardous single handed!

If you’re careful, you can remove the tiles, and unclip the frame without damage. Or even better, have the customer organise remove and refit.
There’s no way you can work above, moving a few tiles and not damage the grid in situ.

As mentioned, very common to have to install in suspended ceilings for various reasons.

I remove all the necessary ceiling tiles and grid (its not hard) , do what i have to do, then often purchase a pack or 2 of new tiles and refit.

jobs a good un

Yes, about 5 years ago we re wired a council building. Was an old house which had been converted into offices and we were rewriting in about 10 years later. Full metal trunking on the spec with singles. Turned up day 1 to 3 of the ceilings been left in, we’re told these 3 rooms were recently refurbished and the ceilings were staying.
We had the apprentice take them down number and neatly pile them, stacked in the corner and then paid about £400 to have them reinstalled. Saved more on the labour cost of struggling.

Reply to Penny pinching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back