Discuss People keep mistaking me with an Electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just recently finished my electrical and electronic HND.. I'm currently finding it near impossible to find a job. I've sent hundreds of CV's out and usually at the interview stage people realise I don't have the relevant experience to join their team.

I'm an ex air conditioning and refrigeration engineer and then did a bit of time as a maintenance engineer. My course was more electronically biased, however, unlike most of my class, I was always hands-on and want to maintain that going forward. I've been applying for service engineer roles in the commercial sector (plastic forming machines for example)..

My question basically is.. Is there any courses I can do to brush me up on electrical work for a service engineer? I'm aware that my course wasn't completely practical based, however, I am.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I've just recently finished my electrical and electronic HND.. I'm currently finding it near impossible to find a job. I've sent hundreds of CV's out and usually at the interview stage people realise I don't have the relevant experience to join their team.

I'm an ex air conditioning and refrigeration engineer and then did a bit of time as a maintenance engineer. My course was more electronically biased, however, unlike most of my class, I was always hands-on and want to maintain that going forward. I've been applying for service engineer roles in the commercial sector (plastic forming machines for example)..

My question basically is.. Is there any courses I can do to brush me up on electrical work for a service engineer? I'm aware that my course wasn't completely practical based, however, I am.

Thanks.
Maybe you are looking in the wrong area Mate, with an HND I would think a managerial type role would be better suite to your qualifications, just my thoughts.

Thanks for the reply Pete. I kinda shot myself in the foot a bit... I don't regret doing it but people fail to see I did it for my own benefit really. I think you are right, maybe I need to be looking more towards a technical office based role.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Pete. I kinda shot myself in the foot a bit... I don't regret doing it but people fail to see I did it for my own benefit really. I think you are right, maybe I need to be looking more towards a technical office based role.

Thanks.
No worries Mate good luck, if you get the chance to do any further education, you might want to think about a Building services qualification. I should think with an HND electrical and electronics, you may well find that you only need to do an extra couple of units to be able to get a BS qualification, if you don't ask you don't get, give it a try.

Some thoughts on employment areas for someone with an HND in electrical and electronic engineering;
1. Railway signalling including London Underground and tram systems.
2. Automated food and beverage production lines.
3. Robotic assembly lines.
4. Medical equipment servicing and repair eg: MRI, CT, X RAY, ultrasound scanners and the like.
5. Mobile phone and internet communications.
6. Emergency services telecommunications equipment.
7. Large scale PV generation.
8. Road traffic lights.
9. Industrial instrumentation, control and recording systems eg in oil and chemical industries.
10. Naval and military equipment field service engineer.
11. .......

as my mother would say 'the world is your lobster'.

Some thoughts on employment areas for someone with an HND in electrical and electronic engineering;
1. Railway signalling including London Underground and tram systems.
2. Automated food and beverage production lines.
3. Robotic assembly lines.
4. Medical equipment servicing and repair eg: MRI, CT, X RAY, ultrasound scanners and the like.
5. Mobile phone and internet communications.
6. Emergency services telecommunications equipment.
7. Large scale PV generation.
8. Road traffic lights.
9. Industrial instrumentation, control and recording systems eg in oil and chemical industries.
10. Naval and military equipment field service engineer.
11. .......

as my mother would say 'the world is your lobster'.
Agree

What maintenance experience do you have?

I get around 2-4 calls from agencies every day about positions in Manchester (can’t get them to stop).
There seems to be a massive shortage here, one company is looking for 30 maintenance engineers!
A lot of it recently is £30-34k, but 4 on 4 off shifts can go up to £42k

Hi Guys - For Practical Goat,

This topic caught my eye coz you mentioned "sending out 100s of CVs". Before I managed to get back into full time employment (I work as a maintenance operative now), I was with a training organisation that had a manager (who kinda took me under her wing). Her nickname (that she encouraged) was "Queen Of The CVs" :)

Anyway, my CV was hopeless.... But she gave me some good tips (that, more or less, got me two paid positions, one of which became a long-term job). It's all about knowing what employers are looking for NOW.. Trust me, this is the key to getting on short-lists. Here's what she advised...

1. Keep your CV short (2 pages only) Modern employers are only interested in what you've done in the past 6 MONTHS. (Paid or voluntary work, it doesnt matter).

2. Put your Personal Statement at the top and keep it short and truthful. (This takes some thought, I can tell you... But say you're time-keeping is great... Mention that first)! If you have very good customer-service skills, mention that... The idea is the employer gets a quick flavour of what you're REALLY good at...

3. Avoid vague "buzz words" like "team-orientated" and "people person". If you are a good team player, say you work well in teams (as long as you can give practical examples at interview stage!) If you are good with people (and can prove that) just say that... It will come across in interview anyway...

4. Cast your net wide... Have a look at retailers and industries you wouldnt normally approach. Some industries have high-turn over of staff anyway, so at least you can get your foot in the door ...

5. A modern employer wants to know what you're LIKE as a person. This is because they want to be sure you will fit neatly into their operations. So be honest... Honesty and clarity are the key. (Dont have any pre-concieved ideas or hang-ups, big time managers arent interested in any of that, they just want to know about your REAL qualities).

6. Ask someone (who is very senior in a company, or very experienced as a real manager) to take a look at your CV. If they say no, dont do that... Or, put this in... Trust me, take their advice. Also discuss your CV with as many (trusted) people as you can, you may be surprised what people say!

Best of luck... Let us know how you get on

Regards NB.

Reply to People keep mistaking me with an Electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock