Discuss Peoples thoughts Rcd protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
I can not make up my mind what to do for the best.

I've now encountered this a few times so just want peoples thoughts on this situation

I have a customer who wants single socket fronts swapping for double conversion sockets they don't want the mess to the decoration.

I went out to quote for the work and check the wiring all PVC so good there but there is no RCD protection on any of the 3 socket circuits. The board is a GET 60898 MCB board confuses me why people installed boards with no rcd protection at least on the socket circuits.

So if i look at installing RCBOs in-place of the breakers its very expensive plus GET doesn't exist anymore as i believe schneider brought GET out so at best im hoping one of those RCBOs will fit.

But doing this means that the 3 RCBOS that are required cost more than the materials cost for the sockets and customers are not prepared to paythe extra cost.

So my question is as i'm just replacing the socket fronts and not actually altering the wiring do I need to install RCD protection to the circuit? If I was altering the circuit I would of course install it with RCD protection. I always carry out testing and provide a test certificate but I know from conversations on the forum before that some of you suggest that simply replacing an accessory front doesn't require testing and certification.

So just want to get peoples thoughts as its adding an extra 72ish quid to my quote. My thoughts are not to do the RCBO addition as i'm not altering the circuit just doing replacement. Then listing it as a note on the test certificate

Cheers for your thoughts/recommendations

How many sockets we looking at here? as i know they dont want the mess but with a multi tool changing a 1 gang hole to a double makes little mess if you take the time to do it properly. you could look at rcd protected sockets or maybe look at some rcd spurs. personally i wouldnt like your idea of just changing them and doing nothing. might aswell just make up some little extension leads!

How many sockets we looking at here? as i know they dont want the mess but with a multi tool changing a 1 gang hole to a double makes little mess if you take the time to do it properly. you could look at rcd protected sockets - available in both 1 gang and 2 gang versions or maybe look at some rcd spurs. personally i wouldn't like your idea of just changing them and doing nothing. might aswell just make up some little extension leads!

How many sockets we looking at here? as i know they dont want the mess but with a multi tool changing a 1 gang hole to a double makes little mess if you take the time to do it properly. you could look at rcd protected sockets or maybe look at some rcd spurs. personally i wouldnt like your idea of just changing them and doing nothing. might aswell just make up some little extension leads!

Its 9 sockets all over the house over 3 circuits. They are installed onto brick walls so as gentle as I might be with chipping out there will always be damage of some description. As I say I've had a couple of these jobs now and I would prefer to RCD to cover the circuits and if I was moving or installing more sockets I would bring the circuit up to the current regs.

Why would they need rcd protection?

Im sure that it has been a requirement from maybe the 15th edition that socket circuits that can be used outside need to be rcd protected. The regs have changed saying that rcd protection is required for cables buried below 50mm

There’s no requirement to provide RCD protection for socket circuits (except in agricultural/horticultural installations.
The requirement is to provide RCD protection for the sockets themselves (unless they are intended for specific items of equipment).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BG-Electri...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B006GAI2NU
As to RCD protection...while I could not justify it I would not fit any new sockets such as you describe without RCD protection. If the client did not agree for cost reasons then fine I would walk away from the job. But the sockets above will not disturb the decoration and it could be argued you really are only changing the socket faceplate not materially altering the circuit. There is also the thought that fitting RCD protection may introduce unwanted tripping dependant on the state of the existing installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ideas what i can use then for this board or just fit 3x external RCBOs in a separate enclosure

View attachment 43858
Am only boil in the bag so go easy, (still coming upto the boil if I’m being honest) if your saying 3 rcbos in separate enclosure wouldn’t it be cheaper to put rcd main switch and 3 mcb s in separate enclosure? Or have I missed something?
But in if they quibbling over £70 for a safer system they ain’t gonna wanna pay anything anyway in which case I’m with teletrix

When confronted with this kind of job you can only advise that RCD protection would help improve safety.There is no law that states that they must have it.If the customer refuses your advice then fit the new sockets,test earthing,insulation etc and put on your invoice that RCD protection was offered but customer declined and then get them to sign it.You have left the job no less safe than when you arrived and if anything happens then it's on the customers stupid head.Or you can walk away from the job......

Am only boil in the bag so go easy, (still coming upto the boil if I’m being honest) if your saying 3 rcbos in separate enclosure wouldn’t it be cheaper to put rcd main switch and 3 mcb s in separate enclosure? Or have I missed something?
But in if they quibbling over £70 for a safer system they ain’t gonna wanna pay anything anyway in which case I’m with teletrix

Yes I could use a front end RCD to cover the 3 circuits but it then wouldn’t comply with the regs as don’t know the reg number but they state that faults should cause the least amount of circuits to be distrupted. All the sockets would be on one RCD so you would loose all socket circuits
Just because something does not require certification, that does not mean that it doesn't require suitable inspection and testing.

I didn’t say that I don’t test and certify I was mearly referencing a previous thread that some people are of the opinion that changing a faceplate doesn’t require certifying. I was just asking people’s thoughts as to whether I was going above and beyond when just changing face plates over.

If I was altering or adding to of course I would bring the circuit up to the latest regs and would install RCD protection.

I feel happier installing RCD protection anyway But just wanted reassurance that I wasn’t over specking the quote and going above and beyond what would be required

When confronted with this kind of job you can only advise that RCD protection would help improve safety.There is no law that states that they must have it.If the customer refuses your advice then fit the new sockets,test earthing,insulation etc and put on your invoice that RCD protection was offered but customer declined and then get them to sign it.You have left the job no less safe than when you arrived and if anything happens then it's on the customers stupid head.Or you can walk away from the job......

Are people really that desperate for work?

“I priced to install earthing but the customer just never wanted it so I never installed it”

What a joke.

rcbo is better than the alternative aesthetic...
upload_2018-8-22_23-54-22.png
and only 15quid a pop may be lucky to save much off the bill!
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-13a-2g-rcd-switched-plug-socket/3133J

Reg number?

the OP isn't adding sockets simply changing them from 1G to 2G ... that in my book isn't adding "points"

I do agree that advice to the client would be to add RCD protection / change the CU
IMO changing a number of singles to doubles in the OP's proposed way constitutes 'an alteration or addition' and therefore must meet the requirements of Bs7671, including RCD, testing and bonding. The OP is going to be removing the existing single flush box and installing a double, not simply fitting a like for like replacement accessory.

IMO changing a number of singles to doubles in the OP's proposed way constitutes 'an alteration or addition
Id agree, i think the intent of the regs is to allow maintenance of the installation without triggering the need to update, but any improvements would be only permissible with the updated regs. This is to drag as much up to the new standard at the point of other investment, but not prevent maintenance.
I would say that changing a single socket to an fcu or vice versa would also be ok, for example changing a hard wired dishwasher to a plugged in one, as the installation hadn't been improved, although you could argue it's an alteration from a plain English point of view.

Reply to Peoples thoughts Rcd protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net