Discuss Periodic flickering throughout the whole house? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bsn321

DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks - new to the forums here. Forgive me if this isn't the right place to post. We have a small home, just moved in and noticing that 24 hours a day, once about every minute, ALL the lights in the house flicker at a pretty fast rate for about 10-15 seconds. It repeats this cycle 24 hours a day. I have tried to notice if any appliances might be causing this, but I don't believe is the case. There is not a ton of things in the house. Fridge not running, microwave off, gas range off, I don't believe direct in-line water heater causing it, and gas furnace for heat off, washer and dryer off. Everything off or at least not running except for a few various lights.

I'm wondering if any advice before I call an electrician to help investigate. How does one know if this is an issue with the service to the house vs something within the house causing it?

Thanks so much -
Brad in MA

Some more info please, do you live near factories or industry of any kind, if so what are they?
Do you know if your supply comes in on power poles as opposed to underground cabling?

This eliminates an external issue and we can focus more on internal issues causing it.

And the big question of course - are any of your neighbours affected?

yeah - I haven't had a chance to ask the neighbors. This is a second home near the coast and we are new owners so just getting up and running. Power from utility poles above ground. No industrial facilities as far as I know. Pretty much all residential.

Not sure if pertinent or helps, but house built in 1954 with updated 100 amp service. I realize there are tons of variables but just wondering what best practice is to identify cause. I've already attempted to isolate major appliances or possibilities within the house, although I haven't gone through a scientific process for that yet. Just noticing that none of those appliances were active and it was still happening.

At first I thought it was just one light - a ceiling fan that has dimmable LEDs. when they are all the way dim, it's REALLY noticeable - like a strobe light. But I'm realizing I can observe the flickering on literally every light in the house - even the fridge light! (again this is when the fridge and nothing else is running).

I'll also add - we have a mix of LEDs and incandescents and they all flicker.

Again just looking for best practice on how to identify.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You could do this visually, look at the wires along the poles and see if trees are brushing against them, this will be more prevalent in windy weather but if you're in an exposed area it could be a constant issue regardless of time, wet weather would exacerbate the issue too.

There are many causes and if it is internal to the house installation we could be looking at a loose connection in your common Neutral or Live like the main switch, the utility providers meter connections or service cutout ( Note! under no circumstances should you interfere with the suppliers equipment, this is a criminal offence even for us in most circumstances).

As mentioned, check with the neighbours first and if they have no issue then I would be tempted to just get a local sparks in to ensure there is nothing obviously loose, it may get you a call out fee but that is a damn site cheaper than replacing some of your electronic goods because of voltage spikes and other forms of transients passing down the wires.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPG
If the US urban distribution is wired like the UK, check with the neighbours three houses along, who are likely to be on the same phase as you. Your immediate neighbours are likely to be on a different phase, so, if the fault is confined to one phase, may not be affected.

Reply to Periodic flickering throughout the whole house? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock