Discuss Periodic Inspection - Advice Needed in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattcos1972

Hey all. Happy Easter.
Advice needed again (no surprises eh?? :p - Don't worry one day I'll be a proper electrician!! :D)

OK so I am sure anyone who's read my threads to date is aware that I have changed the CU in my house as part of my assessment by NICEIC. In short the house was a blooming birds nest but I have sorted out everything from the ring final being broken, to rewiring socket spurs off the ring (or not the ring as it were) that had been wired in 1mm T&E. The unearthed lighting circuit has had all switchgear and fittings changed to Class 2 (even plastic grommets over screws on light switches) Bathroom lighting IP changed to IP65 and appropriate label fixed to CU. All bonding replaced and wired in where necessary. all 10mm to MET and 951 tagged. No sup bonding needed as R2 readings very low to the last radiator.
All unsheathed CPCs (ie all of them :D) sheathed at every terminal, socket and switch. All cracked sockets / switchgear replaced.
Basically All test results (live and death) are well within the range and the existing wiring (although red and black is in perfect condition - The CU bears a sticker to indicate two colour schemes in use as I have run in 3 new circuits)

There are 2 / maybe 3 issues however;

Issue 1..... I have spoken with the NICEIC about and also many of you will be aware. My Earthing Conductor is terminated at the supply cable (TN-S) using a BS 951 clamp attached to the lead sheath. The clamp was fitted many years ago and is neither loose or causing damage to the conductors. I am getting a Ze of 0.11 ohms. So all is well even though the set up is not. I have however notified EDF who, remarkably, accepted responsibility immediately and are sending someone down within 6 weeks (no rush lads) to properly weld an earth to the sheath....So in essence Issue 1 is resolved.....

Issue 2 then......Although all test results are spot on at every socket in the house I know that there are a good few screw terminal junction boxes beneath the floor in inaccessible parts of the house on the ring final (I have seen them when shining a torch beneath the stone kitchen floor from my vantage point under the hall floor boards). I am also pretty sure that this is the same story with the lighting circuit as junction boxes would definitely have been used when it was installed as access could have been gained through the upstairs boards...nowadays however, upstairs is somebody else's flat (house subdivided 30 years ago) and my neighbour has laminate flooring (otherwise he would have let me have a snoop up there).........

Issue 3 (which may not be an issue at all).....In order to reconnect the final ring and also to run the replacement boiler cable in, cables had to be run across the kitchen. Now the boards have been overlaid in stone and I cannot get beneath them without ripping the kitchen floor (and therefore the kitchen) out. So I had to run the cables under the boards up to the kitchen and then I bored a hole behind the nearest kitchen unit to where I can access, and fed the cables through the hole so the cables run on top of the floor but completely inaccessible behind the kitchen units. At no point are they accessible either to see or touch and obviously they are RCD protected. To get to them the kick plates under the kitchen units must be removed and you'd need to stick your arm 3ft under the units to the the wall behind them as that's where the cables run. The cables are not run in conduit.

So thats about it, and now you are all thinking....well do I have a point to all this rambling :rolleyes: ...of course I do!!
I have just completed a periodic on this place, given that every test checks out but that I know or junction boxes in inaccessible places (which I am inclined to code 3 - any views?) can I pass this installation as satisfactory? And what would you put as the recommended interval til the next inspection?

Thanks to anyone who's had the patience to read through this lot and offer any advice.

Matt

Item 1. Dont worry about it, you've taken all reasonable steps to improve the situation, job done.

Item 2. Again I would say dont worry about it....the assessor is coming to see the job YOU have done i.e the CU change, that is what he will be loooking at and assessing you on. What has been there for 25 years+ is not your problem.

Item 3. Some mini trunking wouldn't have gone amiss just for some protection against damage and a bit of support, but in essence no real issue there.

As for coding the inaccessible JB's yes you could argue a 3 as you havn't been able to check the terminals themselves but after you had gained access to them, you would need to replace them anyway so a minimum of a 4 maybe a 2 at a push as ideally they need need improving???

yes mate you sound like you have done good in your property, in regards to inaccessable junction boxes out of sight out of mind seems to be the norm in domestic housing, if you want to code them i would make it a 4 and note the location of them on paperwork. if your results test out ok and the mice can refrain from eating your hard work then i see nothing wrong,

way i look at it when doing periodic is "if you would be prepared to live in the property and use the electrical system than its satisfactory" obviously if you have code 1's coming out your ears then unsat! same again if you have lists of 2's that worry you.

steve

Item 1. Dont worry about it, you've taken all reasonable steps to improve the situation, job done.

Item 2. Again I would say dont worry about it....the assessor is coming to see the job YOU have done i.e the CU change, that is what he will be loooking at and assessing you on. What has been there for 25 years+ is not your problem.

Item 3. Some mini trunking wouldn't have gone amiss just for some protection against damage and a bit of support, but in essence no real issue there.

As for coding the inaccessible JB's yes you could argue a 3 as you havn't been able to check the terminals themselves but after you had gained access to them, you would need to replace them anyway so a minimum of a 4 maybe a 2 at a push as ideally they need need improving???

yes mate you sound like you have done good in your property, in regards to inaccessable junction boxes out of sight out of mind seems to be the norm in domestic housing, if you want to code them i would make it a 4 and note the location of them on paperwork. if your results test out ok and the mice can refrain from eating your hard work then i see nothing wrong,

way i look at it when doing periodic is "if you would be prepared to live in the property and use the electrical system than its satisfactory" obviously if you have code 1's coming out your ears then unsat! same again if you have lists of 2's that worry you.

steve

Great stuff chaps! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

Lenny, I think I may leave the JBs as a code 3 and, as you said, argue the point. As technically they do need "further investigation" as I can't get to them but the JBs that I have been able to get to (although I have taken them out now) have been sound with strong connections. As soon as I can get access to them they're coming out anyway, but I hadn't planned to do that for a couple of years, when I will halfing the kitchen to make an extra bedroom for the kids. Then the lot can be rewired.

Steve, I've ironed out all the code 1 and 2 issues. Given that I would be happy to live in the house (as I do) and that I am gonna hunt me down those mieces (lol) I'm feeling happy about giving the place a satisfactory and recommending say 2 years til the next inpection (purely because of those JBs and the impending work I plan to do that will enable me to get to them).

Again, from me and the mice...a very big thank you! :D

Matt

Reply to Periodic Inspection - Advice Needed in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net