Discuss Periodic Inspection and Testing on Industrial Site in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phaze-3

Hi,

Firstly, i am new to this forum and am looking forward to hopefully getting invovled in some of the topics discussed. But my first post is going to be a question.

I visited a site yesterday we regularly do new install work for and the client asked me the question on periodic inspection and testing the site. He asked me what is the minimum he can get away with doing.

Now, in the past we have done periodic inpection and testing on sites and generally we do 100% testing and inspection (Not very big sites). 1 particular job in the past which was a huge site, we agreed with the customer that a 100% visual and 10% test of circuits in each DB was to be done. We would then go further into the DB's if defects were found visually and under test.

The client wants me to send him information on what the minimum is allowed. I understand that if there are no previous records of testing that a 100% test and inspect would be 'recommended' but there are previous records so what do you guys think??

Thanks

Phaze-3

Hi,
we agreed with the customer that a 100% visual and 10% test of circuits in each DB was to be done.

Its usually the other way round , test 100% of circuits & visual inspection of 10% of accessories.
Alot depends on why the client wants an inspection done in the first place , eg insurance requirements , council licensing etc. ??
Ultimately how much or little is done depends on what he wants to pay and what operational limitations to the inspection proceedure there are.
And the real cost is the cost of putting defects right , which can be expensive on commercial / industrial sites , thats if it doesnt pass.
Need to know the purpose of the inspection before more advice can be given.

Ususally a lot of the tests we do exclude the high level installation (above 3m), at the request of the client. Also some tests on essential circuits are agreed LIM's but as has been said, generally its 100% 10% of points

Ususally a lot of the tests we do exclude the high level installation (above 3m), at the request of the client. Also some tests on essential circuits are agreed LIM's but as has been said, generally its 100% 10% of points

I agree with the above but it should be explained that the 10% inspection is a detailed inspection involving opening/dismantling of accessories etc. A full visual of all accessible items should also be carried out as a matter of course.
The sampled detailed inspection is to avoid the introduction of faults caused by the opening/dismantling of accessories during the inspection.

IF you have no records for the site, how can you I&T anything without generating the relevant records, thus to comply with EAWR you must 100% everything to ensure the safety of all personnel.

This is the point were customers usually dive into the archive and magically appear with records for you! Usually also a list of code 2's not repaired from last time!

Reply to Periodic Inspection and Testing on Industrial Site in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net