Discuss periodic inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electrician4u

just done a PIR. found no bonding anywhere, including bathroom and to water and gas pipes.wasn't sure if i need to recommend RCD for the ceiling light in bathroom to cover that circuit or simply to put in bonding as it should have been done.the customer wouldn't pay for an RCD anyway so isn't best make it atleast safer?If I do that work, what paperwork should i then give him to prove that it is now safe?not another PIR surely?!

No RCD protection to cables embedded in walls code 4
No RCD protection to bathroom circuitry - code 2

No main equipotential bonding to gas/water services - code 2

Last edited:
I was always told the coding was down to the electricians discretion, allowing his/her knowledge to decide

There is quite a few "grey" area ones ive come across in the past

I was always told the coding was down to the electricians discretion, allowing his/her knowledge to decide

There is quite a few "grey" area ones ive come across in the past

It certainly is but guidelines are always helpful and give you something 'in black & white' should you ever need to justify your decisions.

Most definatley, we have a guideline template that we follow, however sometimes got to make our own logical decisions

Yes, it's impossible to list every scenario-a defect in a factory probably carries an entirely different risk to the same defect in a nursery....

just done a PIR. found no bonding anywhere, including bathroom and to water and gas pipes.wasn't sure if i need to recommend RCD for the ceiling light in bathroom to cover that circuit or simply to put in bonding as it should have been done.the customer wouldn't pay for an RCD anyway so isn't best make it atleast safer?If I do that work, what paperwork should i then give him to prove that it is now safe?not another PIR surely?!

Hi,

IMO I would put code 4 for none RCD. And if you are just installing bonding to bathroom and gas &water pipes, as long as you check you have continuity (0.05ohms or less), you wont need to do any certificates. You could just state on your invoice the continuity readings from the new bonding.

Jay

Prior to 2008 there was no requirement for RCD protection to bathroom circuits,to brand all installations just 3-4 years old as unsatisfactory is unrealistic. Code 4 for me.

this was more a question about the fact that there's no bonding, no RCD protection and no Earth continuity via the pipework in the bathroom. I would consider this quite dangerous. The customer doesn't want to pay for any RCD protection as he's selling the flat but is happy if I do the bonding. I realise that to just do supplementary bonding is effectively doing work according to the 16th Edition but isn't that better than just leaving it?
There also seems to be differing views about what paperwork should be provided on completion of work...something that says 'satisfactory' is what the customer needs.

No main bonding...code 2....a satisfactory can only be applied if this is done.
You dont need 'earth continuity' to bathroom pipes,if they are extraneous and there are conductive parts present within the bathroom ,and bathroom circuits are not rcd protected,supplementary bonding should be in place.If not code 2.
Paperwork should be relevant EIC/MW for the remedials,which can be referenced as remedial work covering defects on the PIR.

Reply to periodic inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net