Discuss Periodic inspection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Im a scottish spark. Only been put my time over a year so need so guidance. When doing i periodic the cu is old mcbs so there is np rcd protection. No sockets are likely to be used for lawn mowers etc and none in the bathroom so i would label as code four. Same with bonding in 6mm less than 0.05 so code 4. ElectrIcal install fine. Tested good. Passed visual.

Guy wnats a landlords cert for renting obv you would advise on cu upgrade to 17th bit if it doesnt want it due to cost. Is thos a big issue

Just looking for some guidance on this

Should be done on an EICR now mate. As long as the installation is safe then there's nothing to stop him getting his landlords cert although I'm not 100% on Scottish rental regulations.

There are no 'code 4's' anymore. Refer to the updated BS7671 from last year, only C1,C2,C3's.

For other information download 'The landlords guide to electrics' for Scotland from the Electrical Safety Council website.

Guidance for Landlords : Electrical Safety Council - 3rd publication down.

Also look at the general coding examples the ESC show in their publications on PIR's. I think it shows a socket that could be used outside for portable equipment by an ordinary person, no RCD protection, as being a C2. Earthing issue could be a C2,C3 or nothing, just depends.

Hope the above helps?

Best practice guides : Electrical Safety Council

The BGB applies in Scotland, just as for the rest of the country (fortunately we don't have Part pee to contend with). If the landlord's property is registered with the local Council, they may require the EICR to be carried out by a scheme member and may also demand RCD/RCBO protection on socket outlets to maintain registration.
Agree with all that's been said above. Also, does your PL insurance also include doing EICRs?

Regards.

both issues would be a code C3 IMO. ( not compliant with current regulations. ) . only rider to this is that if the 6mm bonding is sufficient to cope with the pefc, then no code. maybe just a comment .

both issues would be a code C3 IMO. ( not compliant with current regulations. ) . only rider to this is that if the 6mm bonding is sufficient to cope with the pefc, then no code. maybe just a comment .

tel - ESC guide shows it as a C2 if the socket could be used outside for portable appliances by an ordinary person.

Reply to Periodic inspection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net