Discuss Periodic one of them. i hate my job some times !!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nickblake

Dont you just know it when you get the call ive no earth on my sockets i would like my electrics tested , walk through the door and greeted by an elderly lady and the first thing you see is a round bakalite switches dating back to the 40's old wylex CDU with ceramic fuse holders ,VIR meter tails that crack nicly when moved, VIR cables every where kitchen sockets tapped off a VIR cooker supply wired in 2.5mm ,shower 9kw installed by a plumber 4 mm cable so sign of where its connected , old round pin sockets ,ring main installed in lounge sockets metal clad surace all wired into the lighting circuit , fuse wire for that circuit 15 amp , no cpc's in the lights metal clad fittings , house nicely decorated and then they ask is it dangerouse and illegal , argghhh where do they get the illegal bit from !!!!!!!! poor old dear got to have the house rewired top to bottom walls chased ,and her son uses the garage as a work shop supply wired in 6mm YY flex under the ground beautiful garden , and the wiring well DN had to be issued TWE cable stripped off and then wired into a light catching the garage door when opened , terminal block joining cables to gether every where no bond or RCD's broken back boxes ,cracked sockets.

hope to put a few pics up what do you do re wire asap

Got to feel sorry for old folk when they need to fork out big sums, can be very tough for them.
Obviously needs to be sorted though.

that sounds like one of those ones your waiting for DOM to pop his head round the corner
seriously tho advise it needs a rewire ( if you can PROVE it does) issue DN and quote as appropriate bearing in mind the elderly will allways think they are getting diddled Phone L.A. and see if there may be any assistance available to the old dear as she may not know if there are such schemes ( money for insulating her loft isnt any use if it gets burnt down is it?)

My aunties house the same but she had a new RCD ccu fitted couple of year ago with new 25mm tails and 16 earth , 10mm bonding and but still only has 1 socket in her kitchen think 2 in front room almost all rubber cable nasty doubt the lighting has a cpc i have told her but
She 86 now and says the next people can do it she cant be doing with the mess she wont be here long anyway and starts to laugh at me lol

lol nice one wirepuller , i darnt even look the switches you have to remove the whole switch its the old wiring where the back wooden patress has 2 holes in it for the wires then the switch fitted over the top id never get the wires back without a bang of the insulation dropping off , i would love to just put a new CDU in for her but the condition of the cables is so poor you,d never change it and there are so many seriouse faults IE 9kw shower on a 4mm cable kitchen sockets tapped off the cooker circuit , metal clad light fittings no cpc's just one of those dont touch, rewire,changing the CDU would open up a complete wormery

Got to be done Nick and knowing you from here mate you'll do the best for her. The disruption for her will be enourmous, might just be worth having a chat with son and see if there is somewhere the old girl can go and stay.

I know what you mean you konw your making the house safe for her, but I always found that with the elderly you wind up not only being the tradesman but an off shoot of Social service for them .

Yes ive chatted about that she can stay with her son but she said she's going away at the begining of June , but the state of the wiring its a ticking time bomb and needs doing virtually straight away dont think i'd sleep any night till then , its the hardest part of the job when they ask is it dangerouse well um yes then the get all flustered and panic , then the rouge traders bit come in arghh ,lol i do keep smiling ,going to see her again today with the quote with a view to start tuesday ,i will move every job forward to get this done even if its just a basic start to make it safe

thanks malc for you support mate

In that first pic the earth wire at the bottom of the photo looks reasonably new. Along with the shower cabling. Does that mean an "electrician" has been recently, seen the wiring in that state and moved on with no comments to the owners about at least having it tested (if it could stand the testing)?

Reply to Periodic one of them. i hate my job some times !!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net